Toroidal Helix

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

I am about to write a small routine to generate a Curve by Table version of a toroidal helix shape (like a circular heating element).  Before I start on this I just thought I'd check if anyone knows an easy way to do these. There's a great video on how to do them in NX using 'Law Curves', which are not implemented in SE unfortunately. You can view the video here.

If I don't hear from anyone I'll make a parametric model and spreadsheet (or program) to generate the points and post the results here in a week or so...........

Frank

Edinburgh University
4 REPLIES

Re: Toroidal Helix

@Tushar wrote a Blog post that might be helpful...   https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/Creating-Custom-Shape-Springs-in-Sol...

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Phenom
Phenom

The way I did it was to let the VB do the calculation and write the results out to a spreadsheet - X,Y,Z values must be in columns A,B,C respectively.

This is then used to generate a curve by table.

As I said in another thread, the end segments of the generated curve will be a bit off, but you can improve this with the tolerance setting of the curve.

I will have a look and see if I can find the program I wrote and post some code to help.

You will need to re-do the saving as Excel bit I think.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

PLM World Member Legend

That's perfect Matt, thanks. And thanks to Tushar too!

Edinburgh University

PLM World Member Legend

Although I've solved my problem for now I think I will still try to write a general transform or 'Law Curve' type routine that can solve implicit curves so if you find any code that can do some of this it would still be useful. Thanks.

Edinburgh University