Training for efficient procedures using Solid Edge?

Is anyone aware of any training procedures for the most efficient ways to use Solid Edge? I'm doing some internal testing with my own results, and curious if there might be something already established out there.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
7 REPLIES

Re: Training for efficient procedures using Solid Edge?

[ Edited ]

Information is out there from YouTube videos to presentations from past Solid Edge Universities, knowledge of users on this forum, etc.  You may want to provide a specific focus or two. 

• Understanding Synchronous Technology?
  • Large Assembly Managment?
  • Sheet Metal?
  • ?
  • ?
  • ?
Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

I'm really just getting started, so I don't have very many specifics. I've noticed big differences in the approach folks create a simple sheet metal part and draft. Further, there's a very large difference in the time it takes. So, it's apparent that there are numerous ways to work in Solid Edge, but has anyone created a Best Practices list, of some sort?

I know there's a huge number of videos out there, but I'm at a loss to find what I'm looking for. I'm tempted to share my test with this group.........

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

[ Edited ]

So, if you recorded your procedure to create this part and a draft, how long does it take you? I removed the title block for privacy reasons. I created the part out of A36 HR steel, but the important thing is how you create this, and how long it takes.

TEST.JPG

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

check your pm's

My SE reseller has offered training to look over procedures and best practices. Has anyone done this, and if so, what do you feel you learned from the experience? I'd looked into this a few years back, but the people writing the checks poo-poo'd my idea.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

That part would take 5 minutes, tops. But for larger assemblies, the question really is whether or not you used in context modeling, or if you modeled each individual part independent of one another. If your large design might be changing as youre working on it, modeling it from the top down would be the way to go, as you can absorb many of those changes much more easily.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Thanks for the feedback. I used this simple part as an example of different ways that it can be made, and the difference in time that it takes. I got results ranging from 3 minutes to 7 minutes, and the one common difference was the approach the part was made.

I know there's more time consuming tasks on a daily basis, but I wanted to test the basics. Thus why I'm interested in who/how/when anyone might offer information that helps everyone understand there are better ways to accomplish the same end results. I think it's silly you have to pay someone to teach you the better way to do things. I think a lot of folks learn one way, and never look forward to a new and better way to do the same tasks.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.