Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring parts from a subassembly that is an alternate position assembly to a higher assembly

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I have a main assembly that consists of two subassemblies.  One of the subassemblies is an alternate position assembly.  I need to transfer some hardware from the alternate position subassembly up to the main assembly.  Solid Edge won't let me do that.  Is there a workaround?

It's only a couple of screws and nuts, but I can see a real problem developing if it involved a lot of hardware or other items.

The only thing I can think of is to temporarily swap in the master subassembly and try again.  Any thoughts?

This is another opportunity for an enhnancement.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
4 REPLIES

Re: Transferring parts from a subassembly that is an alternate position assembly to a higher assembl

Gears Phenom

IR 9117181

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Re: Transferring parts from a subassembly that is an alternate position assembly to a higher assembl

Gears Phenom

@kjoiner

I think you have it all covered... sorry, no help here...   I see the IR submitted...   

FOAs - danged if we do, danged if we don't...  !!!

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Gears Phenom

IR has been covnerted to  ER 9117181

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Phenom

In the mean time, if anyone runs into a similar issue, here is a summary of a workaround proposed by Jeff Anderson at GTAC:

1. Use Save Member As to create a non-alternate assembly
  2. Use replace part in the main assembly to swap the non-alternate subassembly for the alternate position assembly
  3. Use transfer to move parts into another subassembly
  4. Open the alternate position assembly and remove the parts that were swapped in the other process
  5. Go back to the main assembly and swap the alternate position assembly back into the main assembly

The Save Member As allows you to have a non FOA to move parts into another assembly.  You will still need to go into you FOA and delete the parts.  I would recommmend this method if you are dealing with large numbers of parts.  In a case where there are smaller numbers of parts, you may be better off just dragging them into the desired assembly from the library.  It depends on whether you are faster at creating a non FOA subassembly and doing the swapping or whether you are faster at deleting them from one sub and adding them to another.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1