Transitioning to Solid Edge

I took a class in SolidWorks and used Introduction to Solid Modeling Using SolidWorks 2012 as my textbook to learn SolidWorks.  The book was concise and a fairly complete introductory text.  I was able to pass the Certified SolidWorks Associate exam and earn my certificate easily.

Can you recommend a good textbook for learning Solid Edge?  I know they have the same engine, but the procedures are very different.

45 REPLIES

Re: Transitioning to Solid Edge

There's books and classes to learn this stuff? I was given two days and just watched the tutorials. If you know the "basics" of 3D software, the tutorials will get you up and running pretty quick.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.

I'm almost done with the built-in tutorial, but I don't think it covers design tables, variables, formulas, and part configurations.

Coming from Works, you're going to find the variables in Edge very nice to deal with. Variable Tables are powerful and easy to work with. Works configurations are split into multiple functions in Edge: Configurations for display, Family of Parts/Assemblies for sizes. These use tables that work like the design table in Works.

Feel free to ask more questions here. Plenty of very knowledgeable people.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Thank you for the tips.  I don't want to be a pest and ask too many questions.  I was hoping to find a book to answer my question.  There are so many settings I would like to change, but just can't find them.  For example:

How do I make my scroll wheel zoom in drawing/draft mode?

How do I change the leader type to have a bend?

How do I set up the dimensions to use periods for decimals instead of commas?

I visually know where to go in SW to change the leader types and I'm sure they are here.  The problem is that I don't pay too much attention to the headings in the options menu.  I just find what I need by browsing.

@SPXAli

Your scroll wheel should already be set for zoom. It's not?

For the leader look at the command ribbon when you insert a new leader or pick an existing one.

To change the length of the leg look at styles/dimensions/lines and coordinaters/break line.

For the delimiter go to styles/dimensions/units.

If you haven't actually used SW for a length of time this may not matter but unfortunately SE doesn't have configurations for parts and the configs for assemblies are only for component on/off display.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

bshand wrote:

@SPXAli

Your scroll wheel should already be set for zoom. It's not?

For the leader look at the command ribbon when you insert a new leader or pick an existing one.

To change the length of the leg look at styles/dimensions/lines and coordinaters/break line.

For the delimiter go to styles/dimensions/units.

If you haven't actually used SW for a length of time this may not matter but unfortunately SE doesn't have configurations for parts and the configs for assemblies are only for component on/off display.

The scroll wheel does zoom when I'm designing a part, but when I create a 2D draft, it scrolls the page up and down.  Very annoying.

Found the delimiter and leader line properties. I wish they had pictures of what they look like.  Thank you.

There are no configurations for parts?  For example, if I have a dozen length of the same tube, do I need to create a dozen different parts?  Maybe I misunderstood, but an earlier reply mentioned design tables.

The configuration of parts in SW = Family of part in SE

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

@MLombard

Yeah, for my .02, the weak stepsister and a kluge. It ain't the same. Part configurations are so much more elegant.

Bruce Shand

@SPXAli

Turn off vert and horz scroll bars...

Bruce Shand