Transparent background of PNG picture not working in Solid Edge draft

Legend
Legend

Hi all,

I rendered an image of a model with Keyshot and removed the background with GIMP. However, when I insert the PNG image to draft, the background isn't transparent. Is Solid Edge incapable of displaying transparent layers in PNG files? I'm using ST7. See attachments.

7 REPLIES

Re: Transparent background of PNG picture not working in Solid Edge draft

Legend
Legend

I figured out another way to do this. I first rendered the image with blank black background and used Solid Edge's "use transparent color" tool to remove the black part. However, it left some annoying little parts of black near the part itself

Rendered image with black background

020101_musta.jpg

Image after removing the black background020101_musta2.jpg

Then I rendered it again with blank white background and without ground shadows and tried the same trick again. Now the "annoying little parts" doesn't matter since the paper itself is white, too. Now I have the rendered image with transparent background. Here is the final result:

Final result

shiiit.JPG

Phenom
Phenom

Hi

On way to inserting the image, you must have come across the transparent color picker in the Image dialog:

trs01.png

~Tushar

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Why not just place a shaded view of the model there?....you can set a perspective aspect to the view during the placement using "View Wizard - Drawing View Layout", see the steps below [after selecting your model to place].....

ST8_DFT_ShadedView_w-Pespective [a].png

ST8_DFT_ShadedView_w-Pespective [b].png

ST8_DFT_ShadedView_w-Pespective [c].png

ST8_DFT_ShadedView_w-Pespective [d].png

ST8_DFT_ShadedView_w-Pespective [e].png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Phenom
Phenom

Right. Additionally you can make the view more realistic by using the model texture from the Command Bar and appearance finer again from the Command Bar - Properties - Shading and Color - Shaded View Quality.

dwshadedpi.png

~Tushar

Legend
Legend

Hi,

and thanks for the replies. Shaded view with perspective is indeed a good solution for the matter too. And by adding texture/bump maps increase the quality even further. Very good ideas. For some cases still, rendering with Keyshot just gives more realistic looking images.

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

This "transparency" is an issue, but...

I suggest using white background (same as your draft)  without ground shadow in KeyShot... When insert image in draft you should use send back command or "use transparent color" what was suggested by @Tushar...

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

But honestly is the value of a slightly better image provided by importing a KeyShot image compared to using a Solid Edge Shaded view worth all the extra work every time you make an engineering change to your model?  The Shaded view will automatically update with your changes.  The KeyShot image has to be rendered again and reimported.