Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble Downloading Solid Edge 2D Free ST10

Creator
Creator

I have SolidEdge ST8, the 2D free drafting program from 2016. I have tried 3 times over the last 2 days to download ST10, each time unsuccessful. The download time is about 75 minutes and each try ends at the point where "we detect a previous version and need to uninstall it". The uninstall wizard box comes up, but quickly messages that it times out and please try to re-start the uninstall process. I do not see any box, file, folder that relates to ST10 on the machine. Also, the "I am not a robot" function happens every 2 minutes during the download, many times with matching pictures to click - this is most frustrating as you have to stay put and monitor the process. Running Windows 10 and Internet Explorer 11, plenty of RAM. Do I need to uninstall ST8 before starting?

9 REPLIES

Re: Trouble Downloading Solid Edge 2D Free ST10

do you have the option to download via run the install...  seems like your issues are because the install is running on the web.

I would suggest going ahead and un installing any prior versions of SE... 

then go ahead and try to DOWNLOAD if possible then run the exe or MSI from your local...

don't know...   just guessing here.

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @NewUser2016,

NewUser2016 wrote:

Do I need to uninstall ST8 before starting?

Yes!.......you can not run two versions of Solid Edge on the same machine in a standard user installation.

Good luck.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP6] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Creator
Creator

Thanks for responding.

I have tried to download ST10 again and was unsuccessful. I will report that I did not take any action with the Recaptcha robot box and the download continued - that saved a lot of monitoring. The download proceeded to the almost-finished stage of trying to uninstall a previous version, same as before "the uninstall wizard was interrupted

before ST10 could be completely installed". So, same outcome. I even disabled active protection from AVG antivirus.

Next question:

I am concerned that if I uninstall my current ST8, and ST10 continues to download-fail, I will be out of commission.

If I uninstall ST8, will there be removal of saved programs written in 8, or page set-ups (border and title box)?

Creator
Creator

I should say, will uninstall removal of ST8 2D Free program cause loss of previously written and saved part files?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@NewUser2016,

Only the application will be removed when uninstalling, and all your documents will remain, and will be usable as exactly as before, in the newly installed version [when you finally get there that is Robot wink ] of Solid Edge.

If you have custom drawing templates in the system, you should make a copy of those templates to load into the new install, as there will be a version specific directory created, and you'll need to place them accordingly.

Sean Cresswell

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@NewUser2016,

Alternately, [a long shot, depending on your locale] if you could find another user of Solid Edge nearby, and get a copy of their installation [*.exe] file.

Sean Cresswell

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@NewUser2016,

What web browser are you using?.......I use Google Chrome mostly, and hardly had any issues.

I have a brand new system & fast web connection at home & work, but I installed a download manager [Chrono] for Chrome years ago, to cater for slower & unstable connections.

Sean Cresswell

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

@NewUser2016 please check your PMs for a potential solution.

Thank you and regards,

-Dave 

Creator
Creator

Download trouble conclusion:

Correct advice to uninstall ST8 version. Correct opinion that written files and saved templates from ST8 will remain after uninstall.

Solid Edge 2D Free ST10 downloaded smoothly without any particular settings, and installed without a hitch.

This was Windows 10, Internet Explorer 11, AVG antivirus, and Malwarebytes.

The ST 10 program opens the older draft files and I only seem limited by my general slow learning (used to that).

Thanks to all that pitched in with ideas, advice, and opinion. Nice to be part of a community action.