Trouble starting with surfacing

I've been using solidedge for years but have never needed to use the surfacing commands to do much other than the occational loft.  I've looked over a few tutorials and tried my hand at creating this shape but I just cant seem to wrap my head around it.  Could someone provide a sample so that I could pick apart how you did it?

d3f2b09a.jpg

16 REPLIES

Re: Trouble starting with surfacing

Phenom
Phenom

I can see symmetry about at least one vertical plane.

A closely similar object is the baby bottle for which a tutorial exist on this page.

See if you find it useful for a start.

~Tushar

Thanks for the link.  Your correct on the symmetry.  I went through the tutorial but I'm still struggling to come up with anything even close.  I can create this monstrosity using bluesurfs and working in quardrants.

Part4.jpg

I was able to find a solidworks file of this same shape but it looks like it was built using slices.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Are you trying to replicate in CAD one of the ones from the shelf? Do you have a drawing to work from, or at least some camera shots? You need a picture/drawing from the top/front/right, to make a start at this. 

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

The photo is one I found online as I dont have one,  but the part file (drawn by someone else)  attached to my last reply is pretty much the profile I'm looking to recreate.

Have you tried to strip the cross sections from the model you provided adn just lost or create a blue surf between them.?  that looks promising.

Community Manager

OK. So we are in the final stages of testing ST8 and its all hands on deck -- including me. So for the next hour, I will seeing how far I get on your falconry handle. I'll send installments.

1. First I created an ASM with the SolidWorks part.

2. Then I used Synchronous to move it to centered on the coordinate system and rotated so Z is up.

3. Then I did Create in Place to start a new part.

4. Then I LOOSELY traced the shape, using the Curve command. I did not try to snap to stuff. 

(Put your curves in Synchronous and your surfaces in Ordered)

5. The plan is to try BlueSurfing to a point at the top -- so I have two major curves that join at the top and are curvature continuous. 

6. Realise that the bottom is probably more like a continuous revolve and then there will be a major body surface and a blend between them. 

7. Here is "so far" 

ScreenHunter_309 Jun. 05 13.34.jpg

Dan Staples

Community Manager

Made a bit more progress. Logged a PR. :-) It's addictive. Think I am getting close - -pretty compact tree -- only 3 major surfaces. I use "Chrome" style which has a built in sphere map to look at surface quality -- you can see for example it is curvature continuous across the seams. Needs a bit more tweaking but on the right vector.

ScreenHunter_309 Jun. 05 15.23.jpg

Dan Staples

Community Manager

Here are a few big picture tips on approaching this:

1. Three major surfaces: One for the major knob. One for the revolved base. One for the blend between the two.

ScreenHunter_309 Jun. 05 16.15.jpg

ScreenHunter_309 Jun. 05 16.20.jpg

ScreenHunter_309 Jun. 05 16.23.jpg

Dan Staples

Thank you so much for spending time on this. I can't wait to get back in front of my workstation and give it another shot. I spent far too much time pulling my hair out today. Would you be able to upload the assembly file you ended up with? The photos will be a huge help but sometimes I understand methods better by deconstructing them.