Trouble with Syncrhonous patterns in piano hinge

Hello,

I recently downloaded a piano hinge from Gunden.  I was able to get Synchronous to recognize the pattern of hinge knuckles.  Now I have stretched the hinge 5" but I'm having trouble getting SE to add to the pattern.  This is one of my first tries at patterns in Synchronous, so I must be missing something.  Basically, what I want to do is keep the .500 fixed spacing between the knuckles and add more occurances to fill out the 5" extension.  I've attached the part.

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
20 REPLIES

Re: Trouble with Syncrhonous patterns in piano hinge

Kyle,

Do you have the original file (as downloaded)?

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Hi Kevin,

Here is the parasolid part I downloaded.  This should give you a baseline to work from.  Thanks for checking it out.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Kyle,

With the first knuckle having a slightly differernt width, did you want the pattern to start with the second knucle or should all knuckles be the same width and the pattern include all?

Kevin Grayson

Hi Kevin,

The pattern can start with the second knuckle.  My goal is to be able to increase (or decrease) the length of the hinge and have the knuckle count automatically adjust.  The .500 spacing between the knuckles and the length of the kuckles themselves needs to remain fixed.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Hello,

Here's the issue I'm having.  I created a pattern off of the second knuckle with a fixed spacing of .500.  If I use 5 or 6 occurances, it works fine.  When I go to 7, a blank space appears where the 6th occurance should be.  The continues as I try to add more occurances.  Here is a link to a  Jing video:

http://screencast.com/t/Po0eZwgQGA

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Here is a capture where I tried 30 occurances but many of them are blank even though they are not suppressed.

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Yeah, nothing obvious is jumping out at me.  When I think of a part length changing and you automatically want the pattern to fill in the void, I think of an Ordered Fill pattern. 

In your scenario, does the distance of the last pattern occurance from the end of the part matter or can it vary based on number of occurances?

Kevin Grayson

Hi Kevin,

I may have to drop back and use ordered to get the results I need.  Is that a limitation of Synchronous?  I figured Sync would be great for this since it can recognize a pattern of an imported part.  Regarding the spacing, the hinge knuckles are always on a fixed pitch so I would tweak the overall length to get a full knuckle for aesthetic reasons.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Kyle,

In regards to the pattern updating on part length change, in my estimation, I think creating an Ordered Fill pattern and having the pattern profile "tied to" the end of the part so that it changes when the part changes, is probably the most straightforward way to get this done quickly.

I'm not saying sync can't accomplish the same thing somehow (variable table, etc) or maybe creating a sync Pattern along Curve, or even sync Fill Patttern.  I'd have to investigate further.

Kevin Grayson