Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying Solid Edge, been using Solidworks for 2+ years

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi

I am really having difficulty with Solid Edge, trying to do the same things I did i Solidworks.  Please help

I am in Synchronous mode

I am in an assembly

I have a part, PCB with holes in it, on top of another part, box

I am trying to make holes in the box at the exact same places as the holes are in the PCB.  In Solidworks you can edit the part in the assembly and draw a circle and it will detect the other part and then just cut.

How do I slice the assembly?  I thought section might do it.  I want to take the top off so it is easier to work inside.

When ever I use Assemble and I select another part I need to save to get out of Assemble and then start it again.  Is this normal?

When I try to set the distance between 1 hole and the side of the PCB and I select minimum distance the measurement bounces to the one side of the PCB.  With Solidworks the minimum distance is from the side of the circle to the side of the square.  How do I do that in Solid Edge?

Sometimes when I am busy on a part extruding parts of it the main part disappears.  I select Show All/Surfaces, but the main part doesn't come back.  I then need to start from scratch.  Had to redesign the PCB about 10 times, because everytime I extruded parts on top of the PCB the bottom part just disappeared.  Also Solid Edge was crashing about once an hour

I have a flat area.  I drew a box, extruded it, then cut a hole in it, measure the height.  The left and right both say they are 4.5 high, but the left is higher.  Can't image what went wrong there

4 REPLIES

Re: Trying Solid Edge, been using Solidworks for 2+ years

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

First off, I would suggest getting some training.

As to crashing, I would suspect graphics card/driver.  Make sure you are using a workstation class graphics card (NVIDIA Quadro, AMD FirePro, Intel HD 4000 or better) and the driver is up to date.  If you are using a consumer/gamer level card, there are some setting you can change in SE to make it more robust but you may pay a performance penalty.

Placing the circle on the "in place" edited part and locating peer part geometry... You need to turn on the Peer Edge Locate filter.

peers.png

2 ways to slice the assembly.  Sections will work, also there is a Clipping Plane ("Clip" section on the View tab of ribbon)

Assemble command... Stays with the selected part until you Righ Mouse Click to release the part and select another.

Measure Minimum Distance... I suspect your element filter in the command bar is set to "Keypoints".  Change to include curves or faces.

Extrude issue with main body disappearing... Again suspect graphics card but perhaps post a video of the entire SE app window. May be a process issue.

Your last issue... It appears the surfaces you measured the 4.5 from are not coplanar, there for the top faces of those projections will not be coplanar even though they are the same length.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP5
Testing: SE 2019

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for your help.  I have been trying to find videos to learn Solid Edge, but they either don't have any sound, have music, are in a different language or only talk about synchronous technology showing how to move things around

I am able to now clip

I tried to add a round part and then extrude it, but I am not having much luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owgAsGoeJ3M

I draw a circle and then extrude isn't available.  I wanted to make a round attachment points for the PCB, you can see I made long boxes now just to get something to work

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried the tutorials and self paced training in the Solid Edge Help section?  http://support.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/training/se/107/en_US/index.html#uid:index_xi...

You need to "edit" a part to add geometry to it.  You can either double click it with the mouse or select it and select the Edit handle.  Then you can add your geometry.  When done, you close and return to the assembly.  Note: Once geometry is added, you can modify it without going into "edit" mode.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP5
Testing: SE 2019

Experimenter
Experimenter

I didn't go through the training, because I knew better and that is biting me now with huge frustration.  You know how it goes.  I wanted to get something done quickly and I thought I knew what I was doing and I see now that was a mistake.  I will try to move gradually over to Solid Edge, not a big jump over a weekend while I want to get 100 other things also done on my projects