Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Turning a Box into a Cylinder

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello, I need to change this box I extruded into a cylinder. This is normally an easy process, howeve there is a hole with a ring attached in my box (photo attached) and the cutout either does not work, or if it does work it cuts the entire ring as well. I was just wondering if there is an easy way to achieve what I'm trying to do here without deleting the ring and starting over again. Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Turning a Box into a Cylinder

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

I'm guessing this is designed as one body and therefore you're having a zero thickness issue when cutting past your ring. If this was designed as a multi-body part you would be able to accomplish what you're doing without issues. However, you can accomplish the same goal by just using the round command to round off the corners and end up with the cylindrical shape that you want instead of the box. 

Capture.JPG

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for your reply. I did make this as one consecutive part. I tried to round the edges, but I am only able to round one side without a "blend radius too large" error message popping up. 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Try a round, not a blend.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

The round command is what is giving me the "blend radius" error

@OliviaK, IDK then. I tried a similar test model and couldn't break it with rounds. I could with blend though.

Bruce Shand

Pioneer
Pioneer

I was able to get it using the blend tool! Honestly, I think I was off my dimension by 0.002 and that was throwing it off. Thank you for your help! 

@OliviaK, It was unexpected help then Smiley Happy  Round worked flawlessly for me but I could break it with blend. You found the inverse to be the case. Shrug.

Bruce Shand

Don't think I deserve the solution but in future I would follow @bweisenberger's advice and use multi-body on stuff like this.

Bruce Shand