Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two users have assembly open. Is there a way to add parts to read only assembly, and save in other

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

For over 18 years, I've typically been the sole user of SE.  I now have another engineer with me and we are both working on the same machine.   At the moment, he has write access and I have a read only copy open.

Is there a way for me to add components to the read only assembly, but have them appear in the write access version and be saved?

For instance, I created a mounting angle and added it to the main assembly.  Of course, I can't save the assembly with the new part.  Is there a way around this?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Two users have assembly open. Is there a way to add parts to read only assembly, and save in ot

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

No. Only if you are working in a subassembly with write access.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Two users have assembly open. Is there a way to add parts to read only assembly, and save in ot

PLM World Member Phenom

@bshand .  I was afraid of that.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
Highlighted

@kjoiner "There can be only one!"

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

So probably a dumb question, but how do the automotive and aerospace companies manage collaboration on complex assemblies?  Is just one person handling the main assembly?  I can't imagine that could be.

Is that another difference between SE and NX?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

I'm not aware of any software that allows write access to one file from two users. My awareness is limited, of course, but I would think they work on separate subassemblies. You could work on separate subassemblies then later transfer those components to an upper level assy. If you're careful with mating mates can also be preserved with such a transfer.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi @kjoiner 

If the Company uses any PDM soft, you are allowed to work on the part or assembly after checking it out into your workspace.

Only one person is allowed to modify the part - the rest of users are allowed to use the part but not modify it - they use related virtual copy of the latest revision.

After modification and checking your part/assy in, PDM gets another revision/version.

So in big companies, all parts/assy are related/mated to the Default Coordinate System.

Regards,

Arek

PLM World Member Phenom

@kjoiner, why don't you create a blank placeholder subassembly in the main assembly (or get your mate with the write access to do that).  Make sure he closes the sub-assembly afterwards.  Then you can open up and work on the sub-assembly to your heart's content and it will progressively appear in the main assembly without you having to access it to save it.  The next time you open the main assembly - poof! - there it is.

PLM World Member Phenom

@arekkul@kjoiner, we only use the Built-In Data Management functionality in SE but generally all parts in an assembly share the same coordinate system location and are driven by a "skeleton" part that contains the actual basis of all the parts' geometries.  That skeleton or a derivative sub-skeleton goes into each sub-assembly as appropriate.  That way one can work on a sub-assembly without needing to open the main assembly...