Solved! Go to solution

URGENT PROBLEM - Measure exterior surface to paint

Hi Experts!

How to measure exterior surface to paint in this model. Please check attachment.

I thave asm and tried to measure only outer surface.

1st method - i tried import to stp or psolid as a one solid and read surface. Tool creates many bodies instead one.

2nd - create interpart in assy and check manually via sensor. Tool can not summ all surfaces. Area =0. 

I will try check surfaces in dft by many views and summ it maybe....Smiley Sad

Please help urgently.

CB

9 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author cbdu
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: URGENT PROBLEM - Measure exterior surface to paint

Hi CB,

Here are the steps I've taken to get the area of your model.

1- Import STEP file into a Part template (accept warning about inserting an assembly step into a part template).

Note: My template import open in Sync by default.

2- Select one of the construction body and toggle it to design body (i take the beam).

3- In Home toolbar, in Solids group, click on the arrow to the right of the Add body command. (icon to the bottom right of the Solids group).

4- Select Union.

5- Select target design body (the one created at step 2.

6- Select all other construction body (window select) to add to the design body.

7- This will result in a single body.

8- I have deleted the inside of the "central beam". I've also deleted inside diameter of the 6 bushing as I figure those will not be painted.

9- Save the part.

10- Open the part in View and Markup.

11- In the Measurment toolbar, set 3D measure to single, click on Part as selection filtering.

12- In the graphic area, click on your part.

The answer I get is 2 square meters (1 977 942 square millimeters).

Maybe there is some other solutions.

Hope that helps !

Michel Corriveau

Hi

Thanks. Seems ok since overlaped surfaces are not taken acount.

Any other ideas?

Another hand.

You describe the solution in 12 steps and I dont think that there is any faster way. 12 steps.

It is one of the reasons why NX is better than SE.

The SE improvement strategy is to minimize amount of icons instead minimize amount of steps to check or simple do smth practical. The synchnorous modeling is smth different and its ok. The SE changes in next realeses are based on customer needs..anyway those changes are non practical for me trully. I never used ST 6 realese improvements since now. Thanks that tool support is present..

In my personal opinion, and not only mine, I can say overally every month many different issues occure during work in SE and TC.

[ Edited ]

cbdu wrote:

Another hand.

You describe the solution in 12 steps and I dont think that there is any faster way. 12 steps.

It is one of the reasons why NX is better than SE.

The SE improvement strategy is to minimize amount of icons instead minimize amount of steps to check or simple do smth practical.

Exactly...Michel "decribed" it in 12 steps....some of which are decriptions of the result of the previous steps, so not really as bad as you say.

Further, If you have access to NX, and it can do this in fewer steps, then why do you need to do it in SE?

Having said that, being able to measuring a delimited surface area [such as a painted region] has been a long standing wish item for some people....to which, I think people have extracted a surface of the regions required, then analysed the result.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hi,

Painted surface in Solid Edge? There is no direct way to extract this info, but there are some ways. What was offered by Michael is a good solution.

I’ve made a video about my solution. There is a key thing in it. This is a macro what was written by Martin Bernhard (Thanks to him).

Steps:

1. Open step file in assy environment and save it.
  2. Open a part template (Ordered) and use Insert Part-copy and save it (use Boolean operation)
  3. Edit part if you need
  4. Use Copy surface command and select the body and deselect inside faces
  5. Paint surfaces
  6. Use macro

If you modify any parts in assy the “painted part” will be changed and you have to run macro once again. Timesaver…

SE vs. NX, apple vs. pear. It doesn’t good wasting words about this, because NX plays on other playground. I don’t want to speak about the price, etc…

We have to send feedbacks to developers about what we need, what can help us…

Yes, NX has lots of great tools. The first thing is the Selection tools and selection filters. NX offers many ways to select something for example: selection by colors… This should be useful in this case… Smiley Wink I’ve already logged this…

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Hi,
Thanks for your time. This solution is too slow since should be applied individually for each model. Anyway, please add link to the macro that we can test it.
Would be nice if you have an access to other free macros to test?

Thanks a lot!

Cb

Hi,

Too long? Smiley Surprised I don't know faster solution . If I do this for myself it takes 2-3 min with your model... You don't need to make surface copies, can use partpainter directly...  Smiley Wink

I've attached Bernhard's macro, you have to use it in ordered mode!

BR,

Imics

If you are looking for paint surface area you are really looking for an approximation since the actually spray process has overspray. With that I feel that a person would only need an approximate value.

In other systems I'ved used in the past you are able to generate an "assembly wrap" function which creates a triangulated boundary of the entire assembly or exterior faces. You could then measure the surface area of the wrap feature. That would provide you with an estimate of the surface area.

I'm learning SE so I don't know if there is a similar function. My thought was that this a different method then having to measure/analyze each part.

Best Regards,

Ryan

Hi RyanM,

Yes, you are right. "Other" systems offer "shrink wrap" function what is very useful and timesaver in this case. SE has no similar half-automatic function, so we have to collect surfaces "manually".

BR,

Imics