Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open License Utility to update license

Experimenter
Experimenter

I already have solid edge downloaded, I'm just trying to update the license, which I have downloaded in a separate folder. 

Picture of error

I don't have anything running and have tried to open it immediately after restarting the computer.

6 REPLIES

Re: Unable to open License Utility to update license

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

You can also place it manually. In Windows Explorer, Copy/Paste the file to your installation directory, such as... "C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST6\Preferences" [over write the existing file]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP6] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

Do I need to update to Solid Edge ST6? I have ST5 and these are the file folders inside. (preferences isn't one of them)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Ahh......in ST5 it was in located in the "Program" folder.

Sean Cresswell

Experimenter
Experimenter

Alright so I copied the file into the 'program' folder successfully, but it didn't override any pre-existing file. Opening solid edge brings up this notification that I need to renew it. I think my original license was given by my school if that means anything.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, OK...you'll need to go through the sign-up process again for Student Edition, and use the new license file there if you want to run ST5....or use the download link to upgrade to ST6 while you're at it. [but stay on the same version as your school if that still affects you, as files are NOT backwards compatible]

Sean Cresswell

Experimenter
Experimenter

I'm fairly certain I already did that, and that was the license file that I copied over. I'd prefer to just update the license if that's possible.

Here's the initial e-mail I received, and after following that link and filling out the form, I was sent this second e-mail. The first link has me download a large file that gives me a list of solid edge products to install; it wants me to download the next version.  The second link 'click here' is the file that I attempted to transfer into the 'program' folder.