Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unstable when using Frame Environment

Legend
Legend

I don't really know how to explain this in "techy" terms, but hoping someone might know what I mean, and have positive suggestions.

When I use Frame to do wire and conduit runs in my assemblies, it does a great job of showing the intended design for the shop and customer, but EVERY time I use it, my SE becomes very unstable. It will crash (I let the errors get sent to tech support), it will lock up, and I have to remember to save often or pay the price.

I don't have issues with other projects having these issues, but onceI start adding Frame components, it ALWAYS starts down this same path. We run ST8 MP12, and I'm probably the only one that uses Frame, maybe this is why................Smiley Sad

9 REPLIES

Re: Unstable when using Frame Environment

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

We are running ST9 MP9  with TC 10.1.6 and seeing similar issues in Frames Env.

I have a repeatable crash that I am working to document.

Once documented I will submit to GTAC and if I remember I will come back and post the IR number. 

It's going to be a few days as I have some other urgent tasks to attend 1st. 

BUT - I just wanted to acknowledge that we have seen similar as well.

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Legend
Legend
Thank you, that helps me feel better, knowing that I'm not the only one. I've had to shut down 3 times already today, as it locks up.

Phenom
Phenom

Are you using it in a higher level assembly environment? I would suggest creating a dummy assembly to create the frame inside of. You could even bring in a couple of necessary components if you wanted, or maybe include a part copy in a seperate part of the things you need, and just turn off whatever things you brought into this assembly in occurence properties. Then you can bring the assembly containing the frame into your higher level assembly.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Legend
Legend
The Frame is in an assembly of it's own (a), with components within that same assembly. That assembly (a) is within another assembly (b), that is within another assembly (c). The assembly before (a) has a single Frame component in it, maybe that's the culprit. I'll try removing it and putting into it's own assembly.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@TrikefreakYou may want to grab the "crashlogf.txt" file and open an IR with Siemens (your VAR can do this for you) and submit it and the problem file for them to look at.  The file would be located at C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Temp  The "AppData" folder may not be visible if your File Explorer folder options are set to "Don't show hidden files, folders, or drives".

When you submit the crashlog via the prompt that e-mails it to Siemens, it goes into a database which is analyzed for "crash" trends.  If you keep running into a specific issue like the one you mention, it will get quicker attention and direct scrutiny from development by creating that IR.

Ken

Production: ST10 MP6
Testing: SE 2019

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The reason to use the frame environment is the speed of making parts from extruded shapes like Angles, HSS, pipes, channels, etc.

Another reason to use it is the ability to switch what shape is being used. But the tool breaks down when switching shapes out because the handle and rotation are not maintained when switching shapes. That in turn will completely blow up the model if the first few parts were frame members.

As a result, I have learned to avoid the frame tool whenever I can. I have found that I am better off most of the time taking my shape files, manually extruding and mating them rather than using the frame environment.

Drafting frame parts also create new challenges. How do you get a name and part number associated with the finished part? You have to references it by item number. But I don't use item number at all in drafting because they can be used to label flat patterns. If something cant use item number, not hing get to use item numbers......consistency is key.

Legend
Legend
I'm not doing anything like you have explained. I use it to show conduit and cable runs, just routing from one component to another. I don't need anything more than the total length of the runs, and show assembly drawings of where it is run. No individual drawings of components from the frame.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Ah. I make manufacturing drawings. I have to specify how to make every part step by step from raw material for every part I model.

Legend
Legend
I do as well, but also assembly models/drawings, BOM, all the "fun" stuff.