Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: Coming Soon to the Solid Edge Community

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello everyone!

You will notice some changes to the Solid Edge forums in the coming weeks that will unify our community and serve to provide a better experience for all of you.

As part of this project, I will be consolidating the smaller forums into a single Solid Edge Forum. The Solid Edge Developer forum will remain separate due to the specialized topic. You will still be able to easily find the content that is most relevant to you by using labels and tags. Smiley Happy

With labels, you can filter visible posts and even subscribe to be notified via email whenever someone adds a new thread for that topic. It’s an easy way to track the posts that most interest you.

As always, I welcome your feedback and suggestions as we work together to make our community the best resource for Solid Edge users!

Best,

Amy

Community Manager, Solid Edge
Rules of Participation | Become a Guest Author
Become a Solid Edge Certified pro today!

23 REPLIES

Re: Update: Coming Soon to the Solid Edge Community

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Hi @AmyReyes

I am in strong favour of integrating the development forum into the main Solid Edge forum.

I am not sure how many from the Dev forum are reading this response or are aware about the merger plans.

You can put this suggestion of mine to poll on the Dev forum

What do you think ?

Regards,

Tushar

Community Manager

Hi @Tushar

Good idea, I will notify the development forum and take a poll. If others are interested in combining them, I am certainly not opposed to that idea.

The reason I thought to keep them separate is that programming is so specific and different from general CAD use, there is not much overlap in the topics. However, anyone doing programming in Solid Edge likely also has questions about general use of Solid Edge and would benefit from the knowledge here. 

May I ask why you are in favor of integrating them? I'm curious to hear what you think the benefit would be Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Amy 

Genius
Genius
Sorry @Tushar, but I am not in favor of combining the Development Forum with the General Forum. Combining all the "non" development forums into one is probably a good idea, but keep the Development one separate. @AmyReyes, if you are considering combining all Solid Edge into one, please poll the General forum to get the Communities thoughts.

Thanks,
Dale Smith
Mitsubishi Electric Power Products, Inc.
ST10 MP7 - Insight

Community Manager

Thanks @DaleSmith. I am currently polling both areas on this matter, so I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Unless there is overwhelming demand from both the SE forum and Dev forum, I will likely keep them separate.

My concern with combining the developer forum is that the general Solid Edge user will not find programming information useful, and while you can filter posts you see, there is not a way to select ones which you do not wish to see. 

Genius
Genius

I also would prefer them to be kept separate. Up to now I haven't done any programming in SE and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. I think that, if they were combined, it would be a case of 'not seeing the wood for the trees'.

585 ST10 Win 7

Legend
Legend

Is there a chance this change will fix the problem of internet explorer randomly signing me out or forgetting that I'm signed in?

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Hi Amy,

I know the consensus is going to be a big NO.

Expect a huge uproar in the Dev forum about this; so it is good thinking on your part to mention it being originally my idea, no issues Smiley Happy I will take lead in case I want to convince responders to merge into the mainstream forum. For now I will treat it as an opinion poll.

My idea of combining general and Dev forums is to end the isolation that Dev members commonly exhibit.

There are very few people, most prominently Matt Johnson and Jason Titcomb, who are active on both the SE and Dev forums.

By coming together, development forum users will have more visibility to wha's happening in the mainstream forum and there are some fantastic developers like Jason Newell, Martin Bernhard, JB to name a few who I would love to see around in the main forum, but it will always be their call to decide.

Finally I have seen other CAD forums where they do not make this differentiation and it works well.

So since I may not be able to come up with very compelling reasons, it can only be seen as a wish.

Regards,

Tushar

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @AmyReyes,

For the most part this could be good, not knowing what your plans are exactly,.....but I'm thinking 2D drafting & 45 day trial could be easily merged, as while they are licensed differently, those don't create a unique file locked format, such as the academic version does.....and commercial license users can readily contribute to those users issue[s].

The maintenance customer forum, probably needs to stay locked out like it is, as users there have posted [on the old BBS with an expectation of privacy, back then] thoughts & files that should not be available to the general public.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom

Not too sure aout the developer forum being integrated.. I can see it both ways, I currently rarely ever go there and don't want to see all of that "stuff" in the main forum, but I also know I could benefit from using some of the things many of the users create, I've just never got into using any macro's, custom codes or other "stuff", simply put, If it's not on any SE toolbar I don't know how to use it.  Lol

-Craig