Highlighted

Update an assembly draft

Is there a trick or procedure to get an assembly's draft  to update with an additional part?

I have a model that I added a part too. But the draft will not add the part to the R1 view.

I have already saved a view config that includes that part, and set the draft view to the config, but the part still is not added to the tree in draft.

11 REPLIES

Re: Update an assembly draft

Pretty sure there is a way to force an update -- I think it might be holding the SHIFT key when you hit the update views button. It is something like that....

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

actually its hold CTRL + SHIFT and hit update views button to force an update (found this by searching the community BTW!) :-)

Dan Staples

I just figured out the problem.

The occurance properties for the part in question were set to off. Sorry to bother anybody with a "DOH!" type mistake. 

[ Edited ]

...and yet, the discussion itself, on this great forum, will likely help somebody out.

"DOH" moments and all. Robot Happy

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP5] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

The Component Tracker under the tools tab is useful, too. But you may have to run it a few times to uncover everything. Sometimes I run it and find out of date files, so I update them, then run it again and it shows I need to save them. Then if run it again it shows new OOD files. So I have to keep going until it finds them all. I wish it had a check box to "Just update and save everything while I refill my coffee".

Using SE since V12, 2002

Confused by this. Certainly Drawing View tracker is this way -- where you kind of have to do it manually. But Component Tracker has the Update All button and it does everything in the proper order. Are you saying you do Update All and it doesn't stick or something?

Dan Staples

@dcstaples, I would say that has been my experience. It doesn't always "stick" the first time. For example I'll open a general assembly draft and see the dark corners on the views. So I open the GA and run component tracker, update all, save, then save (but not exit) the assembly. Go back to the draft, see the dark corners are gone and just needs updating to get the views in sync. Close the GA .asm, and the draft has dark corners again. So, open the GA again, repeat the routine, save and exit the .asm, and usually, but not always, the draft is ok.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

Your right, my procedure is this.

open draft

open model from draft

update all open files

update relations

update all open again

then back to draft, update views

close model files

open model files

update all open files

update realtions

update files

update weight

then back to draft, update views

Then I know the draft is current

Some will ask what am I dong to require that.

I make sheet metal box's. Typicaly the box has changed size and 5 pieces of sheet metal changed gage.

It seems like the Tracker doesn't see everything the first time around. Maybe it can't see past certain nested sub-assemblies. This is just a hunch, I haven't looked at it to see if there is a consistant pattern.

Using SE since V12, 2002