Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update dft views of a converted asm

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

I have an asm file with different views configured and a dft with some of this views. Then, I convert the asm to a step file and export the views configured with the cfg file.

After that I open the step file to convert it to asm and I import the cfg file. When I want to apply a configured view this error appears.

Captura.PNG

If I open the dft file, all views related to cfg are unlinked.

Captura2.PNG

How can I do it so the cfg file will remember the views configured when converting the asm to step?

Or other option to preserve configured views and compress large files without using the Pack and Go command.

7 REPLIES

Re: Update dft views of a converted asm

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I've never tried what you're doing but are all the part names the same as the originals after you convert back to SE from Step?

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi @bshand,

Yes, all the parts names are the same as the orginals.

The goal is to be able to send a set quickly and keeping the views set. Do you have any idea to make the process similar?

It looks like maybe it doesn't recognize the names in the new assembly so the cfg fails. Perhaps it's because the SEDocID is different than the original. That can't be avoided.

But I don't understand what you are attempting to do. Why convert an SE assembly and draft to step and then convert them back to SE?

Bruce Shand
Highlighted

Solution Partner Pioneer

Because in this way you can send the information of the asm with a single file. The user sends it in step and the clients open it in asm.

If the client is using SE just zip the .cfg, .asm and .dft (pack and go) and send that. Seems like you're creating extra complexity for a simple problem.

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

I believe that if you did this manually you would also need to include all of the parts contained in the assembly as well as the assembly itself. The assembly is nothing but a container pointing to all of the files that make it up. The assembly by itself would not be any value and likely it would make the draft useless as well.

It seems like Pack and Go would be the solution here. It is fairly automatic and you can have all the files saved to a zip file.

Bob Henry
REH Technical Consulting
Canonsburg, PA 15317

Phenom
Phenom

We've had no end of problems with a supplier sending us parasolid and step files even though they are using Solid Edge.

All I would do is open the draft in rev manager and copy everything to a new folder.

Then zip it up and send it.

You can even maintain the folder structure if you just replace part of the destination path, rather than using 'set path' on everything, which flattens the folder structure.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP6 on Windows 10 Pro 64.