Updating draft very slow.

How can we speed up draft updating ?It's very tedeous and takes alot of time.Do we need more RAM?the cpu?

Thanks.

ST9
Conveyor and industrial equipment designer.
Giving SE a chance.
12 REPLIES

Re: Updating draft very slow.

It depends on assembly size, complexity, level of detail, number of sheets, number of views.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Upload an example image...

Enabling "Process intersections" on the advanced tab of a drawing view can slow performance.

Draft Quality views are faster. 

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Also, using parts with helical features in your assembly will cause a slowdown in draft.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

All these answers are good, thanks. Also note that our drafts are not the standard black on white setup. There's alot of color involved, I'm guessing this might be the main reason why its slow.

ST9
Conveyor and industrial equipment designer.
Giving SE a chance.

Hey I know this is an old post, but I am having a similar problem.

I cant post images, but basically i have a huge assembly with at least 30 thousand unique parts inside subassemblies.

Anyway,

I need to learn how to navigate the master assembly efficiently. How to make the assembly use less ram, for example years ago i used to work with Autodesk Inventor. There I had the ability to set up Level Of Detail Configurations (LOD), which basically suppressed a bunch of parts and sub assemblies. This meant that those files were unloaded from memory or when opening the master by selecting the appropriate LOD suppressed components were never loaded to begin with. Thus the assembly model was much lighter and easier to handle.

The second part of the problem is the draft environment. I have questions about:

create view independently of assembly: what does this do ? does it mean each view has fewer components in it ?

draft quality vs high quality: can i switch an existing assembly high quality view to draft quality ? how do i do this ? why is this option grayed out in section and elevation and plan views (pretty much all types) ?

assembly configurations: is this purely visual or does it actually inactivate and unload parts from ram ?

assembly zones: what is this: why do we have it ? how does it work ?

unloading hidden components: every time i click it, the pc lags for a quick sec then comes back, I dont know what is actually happening during that quick lag, so does this unload and inactivate things from ram ?

activate vs inactivate: does inactivate unload things from ram ? why do we have it? what does it do?

Please keep in mind i Have most of my 10 years split between inventor and solidworks. Ive done some pretty fancy and advanced stuff with those programs and thus had assumed all other cad programs would behave just like those two. However solid edge has surprised me quite alot, its very different and im having trouble finding ways to do the things i used to do to reduce memory and ram usage.

Thanks.

Hi 

if using ST9 be aware of the new setting for multi core usage.

There also is a pdf from SEU16 showing the tuning of multi core usage.

As written there this can improve Your draft work by 100% or more (double the speed or cut loading times in half)

regards
Wolfgang

I just looked at my SE options, the multicore option is enabled. In fact its been enabled this entire time.

By the way I was able to find a series of PDF files on google for SEU16 and read the one about drafting. But yeah, the multicore setting was already enabled on my pc.