Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Updating draft very slow.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@JAF_PW

In assembly, SE can auto-inactivate hidden parts at a user specified interval.  The setting is off by default.  See the last setting below.

2017-05-22_9-42-41.png

Also, while in the Options, look at the section "Assembly Open As" which will have controls to lessen the memory and display impact on open.

As to Draft, if you set up your Assembly with Configurations of the parts to be shown/hidden and then use those configurations when placing your views, it will prevent SE Draft from VHL processing the hidden parts as they will not be loaded.

Draft Quality Views are a speedy but inaccurate way of getting large assemblies on the Draft.  Since they are inaccurate by design, they are good for viewing and ballooning but not dimensioning.  They can be converted to high quality views I believe by using the shortcut menu and making the correct selection.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP5, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Phenom
Phenom

@JAF_PW

create view independently of assembly: what does this do ? does it mean each view has fewer components in it ?

This setting is for detailing parts of an assembly, such as in a fabrication. Basically if  you don't create the view independant of the assembly it shows a view of the assembly but with all parts hidden except for the one selected. If you attach a balloon to the part, it will take the number from the assembly parts list. Creating independant of the assembly is like just adding views of several parts to a drawing.

draft quality vs high quality: can i switch an existing assembly high quality view to draft quality ? how do i do this ? why is this option grayed out in section and elevation and plan views (pretty much all types) ?

Personally never used draft quality, and not sure of the limitations regarding balloons, dims etc.

assembly configurations: is this purely visual or does it actually inactivate and unload parts from ram ?

There are 2 types of assembly configuration - view configs and 'family of assembly'  type.

For detailing you are looking to use display configs. Turning off the display of anything not needed in the view will reduce drawing processing time. For overall views of complex models I often use the 'Select Visible Parts only' command, then save the view config as, for example, 'Plan Visible Only'

assembly zones: what is this: why do we have it ? how does it work ?

Assembly zones allow you to save a volume around a set of models in your assembly. You can then quickly display this volume.

unloading hidden components: every time i click it, the pc lags for a quick sec then comes back, I dont know what is actually happening during that quick lag, so does this unload and inactivate things from ram ?

Yes, that's what it does.

activate vs inactivate: does inactivate unload things from ram ? why do we have it? what does it do?

Inactive just loads the visual display of the model, active fully loads it into memory ready for editing, measuring etc - so inactive is more memory efficient.

Please keep in mind i Have most of my 10 years split between inventor and solidworks. Ive done some pretty fancy and advanced stuff with those programs and thus had assumed all other cad programs would behave just like those two. However solid edge has surprised me quite alot, its very different and im having trouble finding ways to do the things i used to do to reduce memory and ram usage.

You should also look into simplified parts and assemblies as this can speed up view and drawing production. View configurations can be difficult to manage if  the assembly is constantly changing, but do speed things up.

Hope this helps.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP12 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hey man thank you very much for your reply.

So it seems some of my suspicions were correct. I am still new to SE, but the jist of it is that there are ways to emulate the effects of reducing resource consumption just like i did with inventor.

Your post actually explained alot to me. Basically I need to use configurations and create views independent of the assembly in order to help speed up my drafting process. It also seems by your comments that my assembly is going to require a little more planning so that I can get specific information into specific views. As for simplified parts and assemblies, its not entirely up to me. Another coworker of mine who has alot more experience with SE has made that recommendation to our bosses but I think the issue is they dont want to sacrifice the level of detail they show in the drawing. Nevertheless your comments have made many things clear to me and should allow me to bring my Inventor knowledge into SE effectively.

Thank you very much. I will post again soon with more details about my progress.

P.S. I was experimenting with draft quality vs high quality files. It seems draft quality creates only 10% of the overall file size as opposed to high quality. I havent done a thorough enough experiment but I want to put together a spreadsheet showing load times, file sizes, as well as save times, and update times, even how long to load the display properties menu.