Upgrade of ST6 Custom Files to ST7

Buying and using the Solid Edge since v7, I am bit embarased to aks, but I wish to do it quick and eficient.

Excluding my Solid Edge asm, par, psm and pwd template files, is there any quick guide / opinion to transfer all my custom settings from ST6 to ST7 such as ribbbon, radial menu, BoM draft tables and many more.

Sure my holes.txt should be reviewed with the new holes command structure etc.

Thanks in advance.

Milan

www.aaaengineering.com

6 REPLIES

Re: Upgrade of ST6 Custom Files to ST7

Good morning Milan,

Please see the 2 images that I have attached below. Go look for a folder in the "Customization" folder with the same name as your custom theme. In my case it is "THEODORE3". You simply just copy this folder to the "Customization" folder in the "Version 107" folder.

As for your reports, go check in File Locations where they are currently saved.

Regards,

Theodore

[ Edited ]
>Sure my holes.txt should be reviewed with the new holes command structure etc.

With ST7, we have changed from using text files for holding hole information to using Excel spreadsheets. 

We have provided a conversion utility to convert your old database files.  This utility is located here:

C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST7\Custom\HoleDatabaseConverter\bin

Note that your installation path may be different if you changed it on install.

You might then drop your converted .xlsx files into your hole database folder, which by default is here:

C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST7\Preferences\Holes

By so doing, you will have access to the 8 delivered databases in addition to your converted ones. 

Hope this helps,

Steve

* Opinions are my own.

Steven Sheldon
Advanced Applications Engineer
Siemens PLM Software

* Opinions expressed are my own.

Attached is what Ally PLM sent out with the upgrade links. I found it helpful. I only lost some details of my custom expanded metal materials. The attached PDF helped me to remember the reports folder. That's a big one to capture for me, about 50 very detailed custom Annotation settings.

Hello Theodore, Steven and 12GAGE,

Thank you all for your prompt help and advise.

I really appreciate it.

Milan

www.aaaengineering.com

[ Edited ]

Also, check the Solid Edge README.html file delivered with ST7. It has specifics on what was changed in ST7 in regards to settings controlled by templates as well as other information like the changes to the Hole database, and how legacy holes will be treated.  Gives you an idea what you may need to change/update before you deploy the new version.

Also, if you have your own templates stored somewhere that you use, make sure that when you get a new version and start using it (like ST7), make sure you open and save each of those templates in the new version.  This "upgrades" their internal database and keeps it from having to happen each time you create a new SE file.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Hello Ken,

Thank you very much for your help too.

Milan.

www.aaaengineering.com