Upgrading Software

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I've been a SE user since version 6. I used to look forward to the new versions of software and couldn't wait to install them. Now, I dread the moment of upgrading.

Last week I made the mistake of going from 8 to 9. Now I cannot open STEP files directly,The user interface is the worst thing ever. Improvements (hole command) have still not been introduced.

Installing the software is just the most horrendous process ever. Can it be simplified?

Xpress route still defaults to the file location  that the assembly is in. I want to be able to save the tube files elsewhere and the software to remember where!

I've lost all of my quick access toolbar settings.

Is there a quick way to Save As PDF instead of 100 mouse clicks?

Do the people that design this software user interface actually use it to design anything? Why does everything need so many mouse clicks?

Sometimes you just need to vent your frustrations... sorry

21 REPLIES

Betreff: Upgrading Software

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @redcad

I cann't agree to all You have written here.

Concerning the toolbars I always recommend to first use the new default toolbars, 
having alook into what new features are there and which one will You use.

Always staying with Your older version toolbars will let You miss what software brings new.

I also have seen, that many users **bleep** the new UI, but - and this is a personal mind, I will not find them so bad.

They are similar to the current Microsoft Office UI which we are commonly using.

Defining Your personal UI, creating Your automatism in UI is something everybody should do when upgrading from one version to another.

And saving as PDF simply is the same effort, if You put it on Your QAT or You can use my macros too.

I also cann't remember, that installation is different to the previous version in the last couple of years, are they?

And finally I believe that development will hear to us users, what we want and how we would like it the have it implemented, at least I think so!

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Upgrading Software

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Not sure I agree with or understand everything you're saying.

The install process is the same as the last several versions except for the viewer.

Step files open pretty much the same as ever.

PDF files take 3 clicks

Can't comment on express route.

Not sure why you would have lost your QAT settings unless you blew away or relocated your customization folder or files.

I do agree that the new application button interface is the opposite of improvement and does cost extra mouse clicks. Additionally it took away the "add to quick access" capability and now you have to grind through a conventional customize dialog to accomplish what was previously very easy.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your replies, I've filled in some bits that are happening to me...

Step files open pretty much the same as ever. - The default programmes setting to open STEP files doesn't recognise Edge.exe   - Worked fine in ST8 with Win 7.  I open a lot of STEP files this is a real problem and caused me the most grief today Smiley Sad

PDF files take 3 clicks - should only be one; hover over Icon - click save as and then select PDF. Too much additional processes in ST9

Can't comment on express route. - its still long winded and painful Smiley Sad

Not sure why you would have lost your QAT settings unless you blew away or relocated your customization folder or files.  Me neither Smiley Sad

I do agree that the new application button interface is the opposite of improvement and does cost extra mouse clicks. Additionally it took away the "add to quick access" capability and now you have to grind through a conventional customize dialog to accomplish what was previously very easy. -

Also, if I open a part, sheet metal, assy file that was created in ST8 it defaults to a white background. Why is this? I have black gradient selected in the templates etc

While Im on a role...

Why in the hole settings is the default thread size TR10 x 2; What is a TR thread?

Why can't the hole dialogue open straight to the properties section and default to the hole size? This would save three mouse clicks...(all time and less pain)

Why can't I have an option to chose the sheet size I want in the dialogue box in draft, I have to place it in the default A3 and then right click/sheet set up/ background/

Creating a new drawing from a part file now involves more mouse clicks - Where is the short cut for this?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Graham [@redcad]

This is how I have my QAT set for making PDF's.....

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Shaun, I've now done this to the QAT but should we really have to be doing this is my point. The previous version ST8 worked fine. I also detest the Microsoft UI so why copy it? I'm sure Microsoft have realised how S**T it is and looking to change it back. Well I hope so Smiley Happy

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Edgers, 

Hi @SeanCresswell

regarding the export/savin of PDF/DXF from a draft a again would like to mention my SE_export macro, which I will atach to this psot too.

It is a small and free macro aloowing You to define mostly all settings for a PDF and/or DXF output within the INI file.

There are also English explanantions written in, to show what and how You can use those settings.

There are the possibilities to define the folder for the result files, in an absolutely method or in a relative one too.

You can use all properties from the draft to be used in the naming definition of folder and file, with additionally a placeholder %{Datum} for date and %{Zeit} for time

All property field place holders are defined in the SE syntax %{Property Name}

At the end You will find an option called Ende which let You do a PDF export followed by a document save or save and close

This was done to use the macro as a standard save button together with a PDF export

Don't hesitate to ask me if there are any questions regarding the usage of this macro.

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@hawcad  This macro is for a single, open SE file? In other words, not batch.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @bshand

there is a batch version of it too!

But at the moment it is a German version only

So it seems that I have to make an international one too.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Edgers,

and here is the English version of the Batch-Export macro.

You will use the same INI file as the standalone single file macro, but it is based on the batch macro interface of the SE customs directory

regards
Wolfgang