Upgrading from ST8 to ST9 on a computer with Solid Edge subscription

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I'm planning on upgrading our 2 machines from ST8 to ST9.  I have 2 questions:

1.  Is ST9 MP0 running stable enough to do so?

2.  For the machine with an SE subscription, do I just use the same activation code as before when going to ST9 or do I need to get a new activation code?

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
9 REPLIES

Re: Upgrading from ST8 to ST9 on a computer with Solid Edge subscription

Phenom
Phenom

It is stable enough. I have been using it. But annoyances do exist. Unless you are using the gage table for sheet metal, I would recommend installing ST8. Their was huge improvements on how the gage table for sheet metal was implemented in ST9.

My general practice is to wait until MP1 to upgrade ST versions. But they fixed some things that were causing me major problems with sheet metal and upgraded the day it was available. This was not the case from ST6 to 7 or ST7 to 8.

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Got it figured out with help from GTAC.  Now I can explore ST9!  Smiley Happy

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Phenom
Phenom

Kyle,

Paul and I just moved over to ST9. We purchased  new machines, and I'm not seeing any issues on them. However on my older system with an older nVidia K2200  there's still major issues. But my guess is this is hardware related. But I was seeing the same thing with ST8... just a lot of weird stuff, that couldn't be captured for GTAC. ST8 was crashing almost 3 or 4 times a day, whereas ST9 on a new system is running fine.  The only thing I noticed with ST9 is Patterns are still not 100%. But this has been going on for years now.

Below I tried to  make a  12X Circular pattern of 2 Helix  1 turn x 5" to make a classic Poly Mesh sleeve. Then I tried doing each one at a time, but in both cases SE ST9 told me it coudn't handle it. So as you can see from below, I had to Rotate and Copy the darn things 12 times.... sort of defeats the pattern command doesn't it?

MESH.jpg

Phenom
Phenom

Well, please share. What where the answers to your questions?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

RyanM wrote:

Well, please share. What where the answers to your questions?

Well, I know for us, I upgraded to ST9 the day it was available for the two node locked seats, but it was a matter anxious waiting until the Subscription license was updated, which is handled at the Seimens end, before we could properly share project files again.

Checking the actual license file will reveal if it has been upgraded to "109.0".....if yes, then it is good to go!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Ryan,

I've installed ST9 on both machines and so far so good.  I really like the tabbed documents so I'm not constantly jumping around the menu to switch windows.  I'm also testing out the automatic count for hole callouts.  I would really like to see those characters (%QC, %QN etc.) on the dialogue box so I don't have to type them in, but it's a really cool function.  Having Design Manager (rev manager) right on menu is a big time saver along with the "replace with copy" etc.

Regarding the license, my problem was finding out the procedure for updating the license on the subscription copy of SE.  The payment is handled by our purchasing department so the information was tied in with our purchasing agent and I was getting stuck while trying to find the Sold To ID for that machine.  Woody at GTAC pointed out that the license.dat file (with the sold to ID) is stored in the preferences subfolder in Solid Edge (so many hiding places for things in SE.).  I gave Woddy the sold to ID and he emailed a new license to get the other machine up and running.  Thank goodness for GTAC.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hello Bob,
I was able to create this patterb in ST9, but not in synchronous environment. I used ordered modeling and in pattern command I set selection filter to Bodies.

Ota

(view in My Videos)

Phenom
Phenom

Ota,

Thank you for that suggestion... I'll try it next time. The silly part was this was purely for a presentation drawing and will never see any real world use.

So the question is why have Patterns in Sync been so haunted by poor performance. As a user who is almost 98% Sync, this is and eye opener. I may need to start backing off my Sync mindset. Who would have thought?

Bob

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Bob,

you're welcome.

In my experience, ST is in some areas less robust than traditional ordered modeling because of nature, how ST works. However ST is great on many things (history-free design, editing dumb parts, etc.). I know that ST is with us almost decade, but in comparison to traitional modeling this time is not that long Smiley Happy

And I believe my example will work in ST when pattern command allows us patterning bodies.

Ota