Upgrading to ST8

[ Edited ]

I'm (finally) upgrading from ST7 to ST8 and have a few questions:

1. I have quite a few custom textures.  How do I bring those over to ST8?

2. Should I uninstall ST7 before or after installing ST8?

3. Is the latest maintenance pack (MP6) sufficient for updating (or do I need to install prior ones)?

4. Anything else I should do?

Thanks!

Pat

18 REPLIES

Re: Upgrading to ST8

[ Edited ]

You don't need to install prior updates.

Not sure where textures are saved. Material.mtl? ...SolidEdge/Images/textures?

Also not sure what SE will keep from your ST7 setup. But you can back up customized things beforehand.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP3 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

That depends on what you use. The first time I upgraded, I forgot all of my annotation. I would save out everything you have customized:

In my case that's:

Annotation, gage table (XLS file), Template files (assy, part, sheet, draft), Parts list setups, Hole table setups.

I gave up editing materials in exchange for time savings. But in your case, lots of materials.

I attaches what Ally PLM gave me the first time I went through it.

You need to uninstall ST7 and restart before installing ST8.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST9 & AutoCAD 2017 user

Thanks for all the replies (especially the guide).  I think I now know what to do.

It's too bad the installation process doesn't provide the option to copy custom settings and templates automatically.  Seem's like something it should do.  It also seems like something that would not be that hard to add.  Hopefully someone from Siemens is taking notice.

Thanks again.

Pat

Your wish is already granted.

This is a standard feature in ST 9

Read the point #3 in this article.

~Tushar

Thanks Tushar.  Glad to hear it's coming.  I imagine it's been requested a lot.  

It looks like ST9 will have a lot of nice features (I like the tabbed windows especially).  When is ST9 due to be released?

Pat

[ Edited ]

Hi Pat:

I believe it would be some time in June this year.

~Tushar

When you say a tabbed window. Will I be able to have a model and draft open (for the same design) at the same time both full screen on two monitors?

That's an incredible idea @12GAGE - good thinking.

I am part of the ST 9 beta testing but cannot comment nothing.

A dual monitor setup is highly desirable for a programmer as I can use one display for the code window and other one for Solid Edge to see the results of the program.

What advantage do you see in having a draft and the model of the same design in two monitors as a designer ?

~Tushar