Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upgrading to ST8

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Feedback to design parameters in general. The first week I used the software I wished I could have the model and draft both open as full screen applications.

Examples:

Flat pattern and Folded sheet metal open at the same time

Feedback on corner notch size

In general, the draft is the result, the model is the input. I want to see the results right when I adjust the inputs.

I have tried opening the model twice, but the software prevents that from happening.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

As a workaround for now you could open a second instance of SE. The secondly opened file would be read-only.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

single or double screen?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Double screen. One full screen draft. One full screen model. Same model file for both would be ideal.

If that is done with one or two instances, I don't care, as long as I can edit both and they update each other.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You could do one screen draft and one part in one SE instance but you'd have to span SE over both monitors.

I was saying you need two instances of SE to see a psm bent and flat at the same time.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend

We all have dual scree. You basically spam you solid edge session to both screens. you can then open a dft and a par of the same thing. you just drag one to the other screen. you'll just have to stretch the window's to it's border. haven't found a progam yet to stretch to current screen size. 

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Spanning SE over two screens now - refreshingly new idea compared to those routinely added features that come with every release of ST.

But wait, it seems I have few more of those...

spanse01.jpg

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

The key word is my desire is "Full screen"

I want draft and model to both be full screen applications and working on the same file.

I don't want to move windows around, I want to flip what's on top and change applications that on the second monitor depending on what I'm doing.

Typically I want draft open on the left, and any one of the following open on the right: Model, Acrobat, Excel, Explorer, Email, whatever is being compaired to the draft file.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have not pushed for that one because I'm pushing for 30 other enhancements.

Primarily sheet metal corners & flange upgrades and better variable flow.

Example of better variable flow:

Place variable into table cell (one cell at a time)

String math (like document name formula) for all variables. IE display X1, X2, X3 as Z1 or whatever.

Ability to display document name formula in draft.

Ability to have part and file names as variables.

Ability to link and update spreadsheets both ways in a stable way.

Ability to display a small portion of variable view as a small permanent windows inside draft or the interface for a model.

Sheet metal design upgrades are another can of worms. But one desire there is that all cuts can be normal to the K plane. Flanges should have adjustable positions of side angles that can eat into the tab or flange it was made from while keeping the flat cut in a straight line.