Use Virtual Components in a Parts List

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Subtitle could be: Do I have to create a non-graphic model?

I'm finally getting to the point where our chemicals and formulation/recipes are going to be documented the same way we do parts and assemblies.  But, of course, these are all non-graphical parts consisting of source control drawings and "assembly" drawings that are not much more than a parts list with nominal quantities.

I could not model anything, and create a manual text table for the parts list.  But, without a PDM system implemented for this product line yet, I'd like to use Solid Edge to perform the where-used impact analysis.

A long time has passed since I looked at virtual components and I'm just getting into many of the newer built-in data management and other features since ST5 (we skipped from ST5-ST8, and we still haven't rolled ST9 into production).

Has anyone developed any tricks to creating parts lists and where-used searches without needing non-graphical model files?

Re: Use Virtual Components in a Parts List

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The problem with Virtual Components is that they only exist in the assembly they were created in and thus can't be used in another assembly.  When working unmanaged, I believe your only option is the non-graphical file if you want where used and reuse.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom
I find your answer reassuring, in the sense that my knowledge of Solid Edge is not missing any major functionality. But, oh how I wish there was an easier way.

Phenom
Phenom

I have to agree with you here Scott, it would be great if virtual components could be used in a BOM/Parts list.

Maybe there is an enhancement request here.

Until then, it looks like you are stuck with non-graphic parts.

If only you could balloon to them on a drawing.

We don't model any wiring harnesses - these are drawn manually (in Solid Edge) but we do create an empty part or assembly model for each drawing. This lets us place an (empty) drawing view and we can create a 'real' parts list from it by manually adding rows.

We create a parts list rather than a table because we have a macro that extracts all parts list data to excel.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi Edgers,

at the moment I don't fully understand the issue with a non graphical part.

What are You seeing this as complex or not easy.

Alll the parts and pieces wish would be used somewhen in an assembly can be created once and saved in the library.

From thee You can use them to be buil dinto everey assembly whenever necessary.

If You provide a set of templates - non graphical part templates - in Your template folder, then even the creation process only takes seconds if You ned one, what wasn't used/created before.

IMHo this is less work and time consuming than the use of virtual components.

These need to be defined everytime againand again.

And in reference to document properties like doc number, title, comment etc. - those will be stored in a real file but not in the virtual component.

This is additional information to be provided later when convert virtual to real parts.

But maybe there are additional ways to speed up this process.

I will be the first supporting any enhancement.

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

Scott,

This is interesting.  I don't think I understand correctly but you just want Solid Edge's assembly tree structure features to map recipes?  So a where used would show you everywhere a certain ingredient is used?  If there is no need for images or schematics a database would do a much better job.

But if it is for SE to do, I was thinking that one could make use of the density property and draw some shape to establish a volume.  Each part file would define the ingredient, volume or mass used, and possibly other data that could be useful to the process.  Problem with that is to do a where used would only get you where that amount of a product is used in an assembly, which is actually a batch, unless all parts of a specific ingredient are part copies of a blank zero volume part.  I assume you planned on using the materials table as a list of ingredients?  Just thinking out loud.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @bnemec

maybe I have understood it wrong or maby not completely (this is a language problem too) but be aware that non graphical part do not have properties in the part fiel itself but YOu can give it to every occurence in all the assemblies You use them.

So, volume, mass, length, area, price, pieces whatever this part describes could be defined and given from occurence to occurence.

And due to the fact they are assembled, they are used and therefore a "Where Used" will find them and show You the list.

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

@hawcad

ah ha!  The confusion was ignorance on my part.  I thought a non-graphical part was just a regualar .par file with no features in it. 

This helped me out a little.

http://www.soliddna.com/SEHelp/ST5/EN/i_v/ngrphc1a.htm

We should probably be using it here to more closely match the BOM in our PDM, but that just adds another can of worms when it comes to model/drawing maintenance...

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

PLM World Member Phenom

This was mostly an academic exercise to see if there was some functionality in SE that I may have missed over the years that could make the process more efficient.

1) I was hoping to not have to deal with the additional file management of non-graphic parts.  While I'm focusing on ingredients to a recipe in this thread, the method could also be applied to other bulk items like: adhesives, paints, potting material, threadlocker, etc.

2) SE used to have a problem with inserting empty drawing views.  I just tested this with ST9, and there are no issues.  The result is a dashed square on the drawing sheet that doesn't print.  As long as the Parts List Command Bar doesn't have autoballoon selected, then a parts list is placed like normal.  The function locks up if Autoballooning is active, since there is nothing to balloon to.  I probably should write an IR on that.

3) I still haven't tried the following on my own, but I remember reading that blocks can contain attribute data that can be used to populate the Parts List.  If I can use 2D data to generate the parts list, that saves the burden of managing extra links and files.

4) I will have to create a part file and a material for the material table for each ingredient.  Once created, I should be able to reuse them.  The potential for error will be in setting the Occurrence Properties within each assembly to document the correct weight or volume of material: grams, kilograms, lbs, liters, or gallons.  This means I have to use the SE_QTY_Override custom property.  And, while I may measure out liters in one recipe, but gallons in another, I can't have 2 different part files for the difference in units or I lose the whole benefit of a single part ingredient giving an accurate Where Used report.  This means I have to change all my recipes to common units or devise another workaround.  That's not practical.  Worst case, we document common units and production personnel perform a unit conversion on the floor.  I don't want to risk an arithmatic error as the cause for failure.  NASA proved how detrimental that can be to a mission.

5) Continuing discussion point #4, because the quantities will be overridden within each assembly, and the quantities are not automatically counted per Units Each, I may have to create a custom Parts List that removes the automatic quantity column and replaces it with a user defined field.  Looks like I'm going to be typing a lot of information manually into the drawing, meaning the non-graphic part loses even more value.  If I have to create a manual recipe drawing and parts list anyway, why bother with non-graphic parts?

Yes, a database would be better, much better.  And that is the general plan.  But we don't have the infrastructure in place yet to make that a reality.  In the meantime, we have to do better than how we're doing it now and treating our recipes like we do assemblies is a good start.  They have more in common than they have differences, so why not "design" them the same way?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @swertel

3) I still haven't tried the following on my own, but I remember reading that blocks can contain attribute data that can be used to populate the Parts List.  If I can use 2D data to generate the parts list, that saves the burden of managing extra links and files.

Yes You can get a BOM out of Your 2D blocks in a draft

But be aware, that You can get one list for the 2D blocks and another list for the 3D BOM from views

IMHO You can not bring them together into one single list, until You copy them into a new table list as text or export them to Excel

regards
Wolfgang