Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of Design Manager - best practice

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi! Long post warning; I just want to give you good people all the info you might need to help me out.

ST10 user on Windows 7 Professional. 

I'm currently working on a really large assembly along with all the parts, weldment assemblies, drawings and standard parts, all for a machine for a customer. Coming up on the horizon is very similar machine, along with all the parts, weldments, blah blah blah. You know the sort of thing.

When I was designing this machine, I had in mind that this second machine would be used from the first machine, so I made sure to be very careful with how I set everything out with my planes, sketches, alignments, mating surfaces and whatnot, with a view that I would simply(!) tweak all my sketches and everything (including all the drawings) would be done. I might need to design a few new bespoke bits, but most of the work will be done.

What I want to do is copy my entire assembly and all associated parts to a new folder, and rename everything.  Other than standard parts, I don't want any of the new parts or assemblies to be linked to their equivalent original parts.

I'll give you a rough idea of the structure.

Top level assembly - consists of Upper assembly, Lower assembly, guards, and standard parts used for locating the guards.

Upper assembly - consists of various parts and standard parts for holding the bits together

Lower assembly - consists of more various parts and even more standard parts as I really don't want it to fall apart when someone tries picking it up.

And, as you would expect, all the associated drawings for each of the assembly levels and individual bespoke parts.

All in all, I would say there are about 50 or 60 bespoke parts and assemblies, along with 200 or so standard parts.

I am starting to get to grips with Design Manager, but before I do something as big as this, I wanted to make sure I will be doing this right.  Should I copy everything across into the new folder (using Design Manager), and then work my way through the files renaming them (using Design Manager)? Or should I copy and rename all the parts (using Design Manager) in one go?

I'm guessing that the latter might be the better option, provided that there are no links created between the original machine assembly and the new machine assembly. My reasoning is that given the huge number of parts, it will take me about an hour to do it all, and if I am starting late in the day, I don't want to end up leaving it in Design Manager overnight.  

So good people, given what I am planning to do, what is the best way to go about this, and which are the best functions to use within Design Manager? I've used Save As and Rename on DM, but I've not used Pack and Go; from what little I know about P&G I suspect it might be the function I should be using here.

(PS - sorry for the silliness; it has been a long day entering information onto each drawing sheet in turn. Even with autofilled entries there is still a LOT of stuff that has to be entered by hand!)

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Use of Design Manager - best practice

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@SJB72 Pack & Go will not rename the files.  It will simply copy them to a new folder or create a ZIP file of them with or without their original sub-folder levels.

Save As is what you are going to want to do as it will allow you to copy to a new folder and rename of all desired componts and their related Draft files in one shot.  If you do not want to copy/remane the standard parts and reference them from their original location, then you will not select them for the Save As.

If you are renaming them by changing a prefix or suffix, you can selec the New Filename column and use the Replace in the Edit section to replace the old prefix/suffix with the new one.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Re: Use of Design Manager - best practice

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thank you!