Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of models created in ST9 academic version outside of ST9?

Experimenter
Experimenter

So I have the academic version of ST9 for life because of the school I go to and such (I'm not on like a time trial or something like that) and I know you cannot sell/make money off of models made with the academic version but what about usage in things that are free? I'm a mod developer for a video game called Spore and I recently discovered how to use ST9 models for Spore mods. Is this okay? No money has, nor will ever be, made off of these mods; they are free use for anyone to download and use who owns Spore. Note that I do not own Spore and it is a game made by Electronic Arts, and mods for the game are allowed. I really do hope it's okay for me to use these models I make in ST9 because they could be incredibly useful for the mods I have in mind and already in the works (but don't currently use ST9 models).

6 REPLIES

Betreff: Use of models created in ST9 academic version outside of ST9?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Deoxys_0

it's hard to say wether or not this is in the correct sense or not.

This only can be answered by Dan or Dave or another person from the Siemens team.

In my point of view this is a pure private use without any commercial effects.

So it would see it as within the rules of "academic" but again wait for an official Simens answer.

This would be the best.

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Use of models created in ST9 academic version outside of ST9?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I definitely think this needs to be @dcstaples response.  Dan?

Re: Use of models created in ST9 academic version outside of ST9?

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes. This sounds OK in the spirit of the agreement, as are a student and not using for a commercial purpose. Have fun!

Best,

Dan

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Hi @dcstaples

I am very happy reading Your answer.

This is the way how to make people interested in Solid Edge - go ahead in this way!

regards
Wolfgang

Experimenter
Experimenter

Alright! Thank you guys for repsonding! Smiley Tongue Being able to use ST9 for this in my spare time (as in when I'm not doing regular school work on it) helps me learn the program better while also helping with my mod stuff, so it's a win win situation. Smiley Very Happy

This thread may now be locked/archived or whatever you guys do here with solved threads.

Hi @Deoxys_0

I would like to say, we will wait until You have finished Your studies and will be a professional Solid Edge Designer

See You and free to a wellknown movie:

"You will be back!"

regards
Wolfgang