Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used Sketches

Creator
Creator

Hi All, 

I am a new user (just started my second week with the package) and am moving from a Solidworks & Inventor background so this synchronous experience is a definite change of pace. 

I have a question that is not really causing me any headaches but it is leaving me wondering what the point is. 

In the modelling environments the sketches are available and numbered and then sub-divided into 'Sketches' and 'Used Sketches'. 

It appears that you can restore a sketch from the 'Used SKetches' sub-division back into 'Sketches'. As far as I can see they cannot be moved back (at least not with any right-click or drag and drop input) and will only re-turn to 'Used' as and when they are consumed again. 

So what I can't figure out is what is the point of having these 2 subdivisions. Is there any purpose that i am missing or features that are available in only one or the other?

Sorry if this is basic but i am still trying to figure my way around and can't seem to see any rational behind having these 2 separate areas given that some sketches just disappear when consumed anyway and feature in neither area. 

Many Thanks

6 REPLIES

Re: Used Sketches

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Once you "use" a sketch in synchronous, all links to the model are broken. While you can restore a sketch, any edits you make to it will not change the geometry of the part. Its a bit of a leap from history based modelling, but is very liberating. For edits you depend more on the intellegence of synchronous to recognise relationships in your part & are not constrained by how you modelled your part.

Solid Edge ST10 MP5 - Windows 8.1 - K2000

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

To elaborate on the previous post, you start creating geometry with a sketch, just like you did in other CAD programs (including Solid Edge Ordered).  But, once the solid is made, the dimensions and relationships are promoted to the faces of the solid geometry.  The sketch is no longer needed and no longer drives the solid model.  Therefore, the associativity is "broke" and the sketch is filed away under Used Sketches.

Because many people use sketches as a layout, or skeleton, they want to be able to continue referencing sketch elements to create other solid geometry.  Solid Edge allows the user to bring a used sketch back into the active modeling environment.  It still doesn't drive geometry, though. No reason to ever go back and edit a sketch in Synchronous, except for live sections.

Personally, the main reason I think Used Sketches is even a thing is because if a user spends a lot of time creating a sketch, they'd be pissed if the software automatically deleted it after geometry was created from it.  Therefore, Solid Edge conveniently files it away.  I, like many other Synchronous users, delete all the sketches from Used Sketches as part of the release process.  Once the geometry is made, they have little to no value.

Creator
Creator

Thanks Guys. 

This makes sense and explains why changing the sketches once restored seem to have no effect on the actual model. 

Time to get out of history based modelling mind-set!

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Be careful @GAuckland, you may never go back.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Even better IMO, use both. Sync does not replace ordered in all situations.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @GAuckland

Welcome to the Group !!

I would suggest to watch a few videos about it :

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/country/en-us/topic/solid-edge-webinar-series/10983

Just register yourself and voila !!

Good Day.

Arek

Production: SE ST10 MP8
;