Solved! Go to solution

User-defined quantity won't persist.

I have a model where I want to set up a user-defined quantity for one of the parts.  There are several occurrances of the part and I want to change the quantity to 1.  So I go into Ocurrence Properties for the part and set the "User-defined quantity" field to "YES" and then accept the default quantity of 1.  I then click OK to exit the Ocurrence Properties dialog box.  However, the quantity on the parts list in the drawing dows not change and when I go back into the Occurrence Properties for the part the "User-defined quantity" is set back to "NO".  Why won't the user-defined quantity work?  The part in question has been patterned in the assembly but surely that should not make any difference?  Is there some limitation to this functionality or is there a bug?  I am running ST9 MP04.

8 REPLIES

Re: User-defined quantity won't persist.

If the quantity is 1 why do you need to make it a user-defined quantity ?

Try making the quantity 2 and see if it maintains that figure.

If it does I would suggest a user-defined quantity of 1 is not possible, as this is the default quantity for any part placed.

It can also be very confusing if you start mixing user-defined quantities and patterns - I've spent hours in the past trying to sort parts lists where this has been the problem.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

[ Edited ]

There's not one but six ocurrances of the item in the assembly.  To give a bit of context, the assembly contains 6 holding down bolts that are set into a concrete slab with injectable mortar.  I have modelled the mortar around each bolt as a separate part in order to facilitate a detail view.  As such, there are six ocurrences of the mortar in the assembly and it is handy to call it up in the parts list.  However, it makes no sense to have the quantity of the mortar listed as six.  Therefore I want the quantity to be reported as one.  I.e. user-defined quantity = 1.  Actually if I can't make the user-defined quantiy work then I will remove the mortar from the BOM altogether and use a note instead.

Actually, just thinking about it now I have a sneaking suspicion that patterned parts won't honor user-defined quantities.  Why, only God knows, but I will test that hunch tomorrow.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author chrisstandring
‎02-06-2017 03:44 PM

[ Edited ]

OK, I see.

For this situation I would set the properties of the concrete part as if it were a non-graphic part.

You can either get the quantity to appear as "As Required" or with a volume, weight or whatever.

We use non-graphic parts for adhesives etc with a quantity "A/R" in the parts list.

If you look up non-graphic parts you will see how to define the properties.

Even if you place multiple instances of the part it will still show as 1 line in the parts list with quantity "As Required"

Edit: If you just want the quantity to appear as 1, then use that instead of "As Required" in the property string.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

I did the non-graphic thing and it worked perfectly.  Thanks for that.

As an aside, I was mis-understanding the user-defined quantity workflow.  I had naively thought that if there was multiple ocurrences of an item then you could use the user-defined quantity functionality to set the total quantity to any number you please.  Not so.  If there is more than one ocurrence of a part in an assembly you cannot set the total quantity to 1 because you would have to set the individual quantities to less than one (impossible due to being non-integer).  Therefore a user-defined quantity always has to be an integer greater than 1 (no use to me here).

Hi Chris,

Can you please clarify how you've gotten the AR string to report correctly in your parts list? The documentation wasn't very clear on how to achieve this. I'm trying to get the custom property to report, while allowing the default quantity property to report at the same time. I've created a custom property, BULK_QTY, but feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks!

2017-02-14_10-31-16.png

Solid Edge ST6 - Unmanaged
Win7 Pro - Dell Precision Xeon rig, 16Gb, Quadro M2000

[ Edited ]

You need to set up custom properties in the non-graphic part as shown below.

I have shown A/R for the string to appear in the parts list quantity.

Replace this with whatever you need.

AS REQ PROPERTIES.JPG

The next image shows the custom properties required for showing a unit quantity.

So, if you want 5L of paint you would create a part for your paint with these custom properties and make the quantity string L (shown here as "Units of Measure")

Then in your assembly you would define a user-defined quantity of 5 (I think that's the correct way - check in Help)

QUANTITY PROPERTIES.JPG

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000

Thanks Beach. That is precisely what I've been looking for. It certainly wasn't clear in any documentation I've found. Is there a better resource that explains the use of these special named properties?

Now that's odd. I thought I had done as extensive a search as I could on non-graphic parts, turning up nothing on the quantity overrides. But if I use SE_ASSEMBLY_QUANTITY in the search, it comes up right away.