Solved! Go to solution

Using Solid Edge on an ultrabook

Hello,

I am looking at buying a new laptop on which I am going to run SE ST6.  In the past, I hav gotten a desktop replacement type of laptop to do this.  With the evolution of computers being what it is, I am thinking I would like a smaller, more portable computer this time, but I still need it to run SE without issues.  I won't be doing high end rendering, but I will be designing and modeling fairly complex parts many times using a lot of the surfacing functionality.

I am considering the new Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (8 GB ram, Win 8.1pro) and the Acer S7 (8 GB ram, Win 8.1).  Unfortunately both of these (and almost all portables) use the integrated Intel 4400 graphic card, which is my main area of concern.  If anyone has any insight on whether or not this would work properly that they could share with me, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

28 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author sjbracing
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Using Solid Edge on an ultrabook

The Surface 2 was used pretty extensively at SEU14 as demo machines, and I haven't heard any complaints about the graphics. I have an original Surface Pro, which handles ST6 well.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.
Solution
Solution

Solid Edge should run on both of those choices. Whether or not it is acceptable to you and your modeling techniques, only you can say. 

I personally hate lag when rotating, pause time as the graphics card catches up, and having to keep the view sharpness on anything but 5, so this would probably frustrate me enough to drop those choices and get a laptop with a dedicated Quadro card. (Especially so when dealing with surfacing and cross-section edits, history tree edits, etc...)

There are some videos floating around of Solid Edge running on a Surface Pro...perhaps this could help you make your decision.

-Dylan Gondyke
Solution
Solution

Thank you for your feedback. I really appreciate it. Jeff

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
Solution
Solution

Thank you very much for the information. ST5 worked fine on my laptop that
just died, and I did all my design work on it. It's specs were similar to
these except it had an invidia graphics and ran on Vista of all things.
Going forward, I will only be using my laptop about 20% of the time, so as
long as it runs well for day-in-and-day-out and reasonably on the more cpu
intensive stuff (complex surfacing) I think I will be ok. Thanks again,
Jeff

---
This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.
http://www.avast.com
Solution
Solution

I have not used a Surface 3 yet, but the the Surface 2 ran SE great. No issues. So I would expect the same from the Surface 3.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development
Solution
Solution

I'm currently using a Dell Studio XPS 16 with high res screen (not regarded as hi rs these days) and SSD and some sort of Geforce card.  It runs SE surprisingly well, even with large assemblies.

Recently I've been looking at the Dell XPS 15.  It has a very high re screen combined with touch (no idea if this is supported like the Surface Pro in ST7) as well as 16GB ram which is essential for large assemblies.  Also, considering it has a 15" screen it only weighs around 2kg.

Down side is the reflections on the glossy screen which can be a pain. 

Solution
Solution

Hi,

Im quite confused as to, to what extent of complicated asseblies can the surface pro cater to.

As i continually work on medium level assemblies, and wanted an upgrde on the hardware, so wilfully wanted to buy the surface pro3, but prior to which your advise on the same would be quite helpful.

dcstaples wrote:

I have not used a Surface 3 yet, but the the Surface 2 ran SE great. No issues. So I would expect the same from the Surface 3.

Solution
Solution

[ Edited ]

nikitengg wrote:

Im quite confused as to, to what extent of complicated asseblies can the surface pro cater to.

As i continually work on medium level assemblies, and wanted an upgrde on the hardware, so wilfully wanted to buy the surface pro3, but prior to which your advise on the same would be quite helpful.

I too am contemplating this move, as a potential full desktop workstation replacement.

Have you seen this yet? [pending a further review, when running with a feature heavy medium assembly].... http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/ST7-Microsoft-Surface-Pro/ba-p/31952

The benefit seems neglegable between the Surface Pro 2 vs. 3...but I think I'd still prefer the later.

[image c/o Nate Ralph - CNET]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10
Solution
Solution

@SeanCresswell Don't under estimate the impact of screen size. That extra 1.5" is going to make a big difference on the Surface 3. I still wouldn't mind if they made it even a bit bigger, though.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development