Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Solid Edge's "Create Part in Place" command with Teamcenter

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello! I've been using Solid Edge for long and I love the "Create part in place" command, so helpful.

However, I've started using PLM recently so every item has a part number, and my part number structure is custom made (not the usual 6 digit code), when I use the "create part in place" command it works fine and create the part for me in teamcenter with correct object code but when I check the solid edge part file it has a different code (6 digit code) and not the code I want...

can anyone explain how "creat part in place" should be used when teamcenter is invloved?

thanks!  

10 REPLIES

Re: Using Solid Edge's "Create Part in Place" command with Teamcenter

sounds like the item and item rev get the desired name but the Named Reference is not...  can you confirm this is what you are seeing.

How does the item look in RAC?   can you verify the name of the Named Ref...

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi, thanks for replying...

I hope this picture explains, I created this "Test Item" in solid edge using "Create Part in Place"..

as you see it created the part fine; the yellow highlighted part number is the correct part number but the named reference code (highlighted in red) is different...

Same thing happens when I Save As a part, it saves with a new code but the named reference stays the old code of the part I saved from... 

@CadDes     I believe this will require a BMIDE change from your TC admin..  this is not something the user can change or fix.  

Note that your SE dataset is not inheriting the Item number...   the Named Ref is the same as the Dataset... 

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Experimenter
Experimenter
Sorry but I'm not good with abbreviations; can you please tell me what "BMIDE" means?
also, do you think the save as is also a problem?
when I save as a part in teamcenter, the new part comes with a new code but the named references does not change, I have to change them manually so i copy and paste the new code...is it naturally done this way or it's also a problem to be fixed so the named references automatically take the new code?

I assume that when an admin finds out about this issues and digs in to correct it that they will (should) address any and all file creation methods...   

The BMIDE is the Teamcenter Business Modeler IDE  (Integrated Development Environment)   This is the set up wizard perse' of TC.  This is where you would set a rule or condition to save the SE datasets with the same name as the Item.

again,  this is an admin task...  you will need to report your issue internally to your TC admin group. 

If they have questions there is a TC Admin forum they can post questions to as well.  

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Experimenter
Experimenter

I did report this issue to admin and he told me whenever I use "Create Part In Place" I should first create the codes in Teamcenter and then manually copy and paste them into the action window to create the part, as well as fill out the fields that generate the custom code...so basically I have to create the part twice (In terms of filling fields for code generation)...
do you think that is a correct solution or it's just a work around the problem without really solving it?
because honestly, working as the Admin suggested increases the time of work a lot!
a one minute job would take more than 15 min!

PS: using any command that invloves item creation from Solid Edge to teamcenter gives the same problem (Mirror command, save as command, create part in place command)

This is just WRONG!  -no way around it...   The object model just isn't completely set up (configured)

it's insane to expect a user to do what you have been asked... 

I would certainly raise this issue up the ladder!   

This should be a quick and easy fix.   

How many users in your environment?

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Experimenter
Experimenter
For the design team, 5 PLM users! but there're other departments.

yea,  for sure.  this then should be a quick easy fix.   The reason I ask is that after the BMIDE changes are made, the server needs to come down for the deployment.    That can be done overnight or in your case probably at lunch... I wouldn't expect this entire fix to take much more than 1 hr...   this including the Admin team doing a little research, making the change, and deploying the change...

If this were me,  knowing what I know, and having worked in (currently as well) properly deployed environments...  I would be sideways about this and demand (professionally) a fix... ASAP!

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.7