Using a spring as adjustable part in a subassembly. Spring length is controlled by main assembly

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I have a tensioner subassembly that includes a spring.  When the tensioner is mounted in the main machine assembly, the spring is hooked onto a shoulder screw which stretches it.  I can set the length of the spring by editing the tensioner subassembly in place and using a couple of sketched circles to measure the required length which then elongates the spring correctly.   The question then becomes about constraining the spring loops to the anchoring shoulder screw.  I can constrain the loop to the anchoring screw with a floating axial alignment.  The two green circles I used for measuring the spring length are sketched in the main assembly on the same plane.  The right most circle, however, would ideally be part of the subassembly so that if the tensioner moved, the spring would adjust its length and also maintain its constraints to the two screws.  Is this the best way, or is there a more elegant way?  

Tensioner subassemblyTensioner subassemblyTensioner installedTensioner installed

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
20 REPLIES

Betreff: Using a spring as adjustable part in a subassembly. Spring length is controlled by main a

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @kjoiner

to be honest, I did not get Your explanation and Your request completely but

if I understood it right, then YOu only need to define the adjustable part and put it into an adjustable assembly.

I did this with a simple spring part.

This subassembly now is placed within the higher assembly and one prat (nut) get a connection to another part of the top asm

As You can see, any changes for this upper part moves the nut from the subassembly and also changes the length of the spring.

There is no skecth or any other relation, formula etc. involved.

20170615_2016.PNG20170615_2017.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Re: Using a spring as adjustable part in a subassembly. Spring length is controlled by main assemb

@kjoiner   IIRC you can place an adjustable part as either driveing or driven.  In your case you are wanting the spring to be driven.  When you select the driven state you are prompted to pick 2 points in the assy from which a driving variable in the part will be controlled. (IE the distance of your 2 green circles could be driven by a distance betweent the mid point of the 2 anchor screws.)

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Re: Using a spring as adjustable part in a subassembly. Spring length is controlled by main assemb

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

In my application, the tensioner pivots about a screw at the top so the two anchor points for the spring will be translating and not just moving in a linear fashion.

In the sketch, the left circle is associatively linked to the stationary sheet metal part and the right circle is associatively linked to the tensioner.  This should maintain assembly constraints as well as provide a dimensions to control the stretch of the spring.  I have not moved the tensioner to find out yet, butI think it will work.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

@kjoiner

see if this helps you out? 

(view in My Videos)

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Even thought the tensioner pivots the distance between 2 points will still be a straigh line for the length of the spring...  ???

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.6

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Matt,

Try this,

1. Take the rod and the right hand block and make them into a subassembly

2. Put that subassembly into a main assembly with the left block

3. Constrain the two blocks so they are not in plane - maybe a face relate on the front faces, but with an offset.  That will require another way to measure between the holes since they are not in plane for the rod length variable.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Matt,

In regards to the length being a straight line - it will be a straight line, but not always along an axis since the anchor screw on the tensioner will be swinging in an arc.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

@kjoiner

Unfortunaly i wanted to use the Adjustable part and an Adjutable assembly, but this can not be done because we can not edit in place an adjustable assy.  BUT   I think i have a method that works, similar to your approach with associative sketches...

Take a look:

(view in My Videos)

Matt Johnson
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

kjoiner wrote:

Hi Matt,

In regards to the length being a straight line - it will be a straight line, but not always along an axis since the anchor screw on the tensioner will be swinging in an arc.

Kyle

The measure should be a point to point measurement not a vertical or horizontal one. So I think the spring should adjust with the arc. I did a test assembly with an adj part and it works but, and this seems like a bug, a constraint breaks instead of realigning. So, you suppress it, then unsupress it and it fixes itself after an update active level. This doesn't seem like correct behavior at all. I think it should just follow the anchor points. The length adusts but the concentric constraint is lost. If update can fix it why doesn't it just work?

(view in My Videos)

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200