Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Using one part as reference to make another

Creator
Creator

I'm new to solid edge and just learning the fundamentals but I'm having trouble using a part as reference to build another. For example lets say I model the bed of a pickup truck. I model in the bed floor, sides, wheel wells, tie down points and factory bolts, etc. Now I'm making something to go inside of the pickup bed. What is the best way to use the bed as reference for placing lines and solid objects without actually making the new part be the same part. Is this done with layers?

Thank you for any help or links to tutorials or whatever guidance.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Using one part as reference to make another

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @HSchwab,

Depending on how you want to use the model down stream, will usually dictate how one should go about it. Typically one would build parts in the context of an assembly, using Create-In Place.

BUT, there is a fast & loose way to do it, in the single design model file, by the use of the Multi-Body work flow. [you can then Multi-Body Publish later on, to get individual parts]

Solids_AddBody.PNG

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @HSchwab 

and besides that what was suggested by @SeanCresswell  You also can use a Part Copy in an Ordered Part.

You associativeley can copy a part or an assembly to another part.

Either as Design or Construction.

And this geometry now could be used for a new part and new geometry.

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Hi @HSchwab , in addition to what the guys said my favourite method is to directly pull surfaces/chains in sync mode. Create part in place, pull surfaces, pull holes etc. Re-size if needed. In addition to this there is the slower method of projecting stuff to sketches. Small video below to illustrate.

Harri

(view in My Videos)

Phenom
Phenom

And a second video using different parts in the assembly to create features.

(view in My Videos)

Creator
Creator

Thank you for the quick response. Didn't realise how active this forum is everyone. I think I'm going to look into Create in Place tutorials.

Creator
Creator

Does anyone have any links to top down modelling or specifically how to use the project to sketch? I'm kind of getting it in a cumbersome sort of way. I'm really having difficulty placing reference planes and snapping to the background objects efficiently. A lot of times it gets out of the part modelling after using the project to sketch and then I have to re-enter it. Making it a bit difficult.

Creator
Creator

OK had to watch those videos a bunch of times but it does help a lot. It looks like SHIFT click is the big helper.

It seems like one workflow is to use COINCIDENCE PLANE, shift click on the background face to set starting work area and then use PROJECT SKETCH to pick the face shape.

In you video it seems like the more elegant approach is to select an option like SOLID EXTRUDE and shift click the background part face. Am I right with these assumptions?

Phenom
Phenom
@HSchwab, if you’re referring to my video, it’s much simpler than that. All the steps are shown.

This is IMHO one of the most powerful features in Sync. As long as you’re in the assembly environment you can grab a surface, chain or entity and use it as a sketch, without the need to muck around with planes or stuff. Check the video, I’m not locking any plane, just dragging the surface or chain.

Haven’t got SE at home but I can make a simple video of manipulating planes and projecting to sketches tomorrow if needed.

I’m sorry I can’t answer the shift click question.. as far as I know, it’s just for selecting multiple entities - and in sync it’s enough to hold shift for the second entity only, after this it will assume you’re adding to selection even without shift.

Harri

Creator
Creator

Thank you Hjoy. That would help.