Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Using one part as reference to make another

Phenom
Phenom

@HSchwab , sorry for the hasty reply, hope it helps a little.

First things first. Disclaimer: I have a long history in ordered modelling and quite frankly don't miss it a bit. So take my advice with a pinch of salt, it leans heavily towards sync and redards ordered as the dark side. I do top down modeling as often as possible, use sync to its advantages, but rarely need planes for anything, except initial sketching. 

If you're not fluent with the steering wheel, you really should get to know it. @Tushar among others has a great tips thread for this. At first I hated the dratted thing, but lately have come to love it Smiley Wink

Another pointer, sometimes SE has a pesky logic set when it comes to clicking around and hitting esc. and whatnot. Sadly, the videos don't show keystrtokes. If you have trouble recreating the stuff in videos, check the prompt bar, it usually tells you what kind of dance is required at your particular step.

First: Project to plane. This is a sheetmetal part, but it would be pretty much the same for a standard part. The Project to plane command includes peer locate, but I have also shown it manually, this is to gain access to features in other parts. Also note that you may have to activate a part if you wish to use it, sometimes SE is finicky about this.

(view in My Videos)

Direct edit from within assembly. This is another HUGELY powerful feature. No need to open the part, just change selection mode and go ahead. You can control Design Intent as within the part and any affected relationships will be honoured.

(view in My Videos)

Second example, you can choose as many surfaces as you wish - again, possible dependencies are updated. Also note that PMI info connected with the faces to be moved is displayed.

(view in My Videos)

Manipulating planes.

This is all about the steering wheel. Just create a coincident plane anywhere, drag/rotate to your heart's desire. You can lock onto keypoints, re-position the steering wheel etc.

(view in My Videos)

A reminder, features can be manipulated without need for planes

(view in My Videos)

Finally, you can copy/paste features from part to part or via a library. The original part in this example is far from the coord system origin, so I needed to drag it around a little to place it correctly.

(view in My Videos)

There are a lot of other great techniques as well, but these cover 98% of my routine.

Harri