Using recognize patterns on downloaded timing pulley

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I downloaded an XL timing pulley from Stock Drive Products and imported it into SE.  For the sake of simplicity, it only has 2 of the 17 teeth modeled.  I thought this would be a good opportunity to try out the Recognize Patterns command but SE said it can't find a pattern.  It may be a way the pulley was modeled but I thought I would put it on the forum for others to try out.  It may be the way the teeth go under the flanges.  Anyway, check it out and see if you can make it find the pattern.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
7 REPLIES

Re: Using recognize patterns on downloaded timing pulley

PLM World Member Phenom

I pulled the ends of the tooth cuts so they are aligned with the edge of the taper on the flanges.  I then was able to select one of the teeth and make a circular pattern of 17 teeth.  I would like to know if it's possible to select the 2 existing teeth and have SE infer a patter in a matter similar to the teeth in the end effectors shown in the demos.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kyle,

Yeah, I was unable to get the it to regognize a pattern either....I wonder if there is a minimum number of entities.

Deleting the second instance & making a 17 count pattern was less than a minutes work though.  

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I would guess that two instances is not enough for the computer to recognize a pattern. At least 3 would be needed for a circular pattern (3 points specify an arc)

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

Thanks for taking a look at it.  I agree with both of your responses.  12GAGE you make a good point about needing 3 points to define an arc - I would be a neat trick if SE could see the circular features in the part and infer the radius.

Sean, I actually selected one of the teeth and created a circular pattern.  Since the 17th tooth overlaps the one I didn't select, Syncrhonous puts it on top and probably consumes it which is the desired result anyway.

It was an interesting exercise and does show the power of Syncrhonous when dealing with imported parts.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

From time to time, I get the PLEASURE of being involved in the detailed technical stuff -- and recognize patterns was one of these. So I know more about this topic than most. Folks are definitely on the right track here. You need at least a few instances to cause a "signature" to form. I found these notes in the PPT that started it all :-)

• 2x1 Linear patterns can suck up a pattern member out of a much better pattern, so ignore 2X1 – i.e. that’s not a pattern.
  • 3 member circular patterns (triangles) seem to appear from time to time but often appear to be “not intended to be patterns”. Ignore these too.

I don't know the details of the final algorithms, which go beyond my cranial capacity. But the thinking is along these lines...

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Phenom
Phenom

Kyle,

I use Stock Drives often as well, and always download gears and timing pulleys with ALL their teeth... sort of like picking a girlfriend!  It saves a lot of time, and you won't mind looking at it. Smiley Tongue

Bob

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Bob, you are too funny!

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3