Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variable Material in Variable Table

Creator
Creator

We have a part that can be made of different materials and would like to address that in the variable table.

Has anyone dones this before? I've looked online and come up short with ideas on how to address material parametrically in the variable table.

Thanks all!

7 REPLIES

Re: Variable Material in Variable Table

Legend
Legend

Interesting discussion. Each part/material combination would have it's own part number, wouldn't it?

Creator
Creator

I suppose it would, wouldn't it. Yes, that's how we typically handle that. I wonder if there's a way to still define it.

Legend
Legend

I haven't used Family of Parts for a few years. I wonder if there's a way to do what you're looking for.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

If you need a different part number, then you need a different part file.  Assign the material to each part file.

If created by a Family of Parts, you should be able to create a FOP Table and link the material property into a column.  If you can't, then create a "collector assembly" which is just an assembly file that has each of the part configurations in it.  Then you can create a Parts List table that you can add a material column too.

Betreff: Variable Material in Variable Table

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @SCMustang

I also think that the only way to get this is the use of a FamilyOfParts with different files for each child where You can assign different material to each.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator

Family of Parts is an entirely enw concept for me! I need to go learn this and report back what I find. For now, we are proceeding with differing parts/part numbers per material.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @SCMustang

family of parts is the right anser and not hard to use.

Create Your master, define all children there and save them as single files with different (famliy part name) names.

For everyone of them You can (and You have) to define the seprate material.

You can use the Proeprty Manager to open a complete folder structure, reading in all SE files from there and change their properties very easy.

Even Material

regards
Wolfgang