Variable not recaculating

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I have an assembly that is driven by 3 variables: pnlthk, pnlwidth, pnllength. The system mass value represents the steel sheet metal parts. I use formulas with those variables to calculate another variable (InsulVol) for internal volume for insulation and multiply that by a variable for its density (InsulDensity) to get (InsulWeight). I then add InsulWeight to Mass to derive a TotalWeight. 

When I change one of the three size variables, pnllength in this example, I do a save ("update on file save" is set in the physical properties dialog) so it updates the masses. But the TotalWeight value does not update. I have to perform an operation in the formula to get it to update. Like divide by one or delete the divide by one. Is there a way to have it automatically update like I would think it should already anyway?

Photos attached.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
18 REPLIES

Re: Variable not recaculating

does update all relationships force it to update?

how about update active level?

???

2015-06-01_1319.png

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Tried that long ago. Doesn't do a thing.

Bruce Shand

Genius
Genius

I've had something similar, in variables, happen to me before. Most of the time it was a file that was created in an old version of SE (V16 vs ST5) and was fixed by rebuilding it in the current version. Did it ever update correctly before? If it calculated before and it was created in an older version of SE, you could try making a new one and see if that works. :\

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting possibility. The original files were created pre-ST7 but I've been massaging them quite a bit in the last two weeks - copying with revman, changing dimensions, etc. This is the first time I've used variables with them so I don't know if they ever updated correctly.

Guess I'll have to start from scratch to see. Dang it!

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

for complex sheet metal, I have to make sure all sketches are healthy, and that all gages have references to my gage table. After that, sometimes I have to re-open the file to kick the updates into working.

The real test if the file is feeling good is how long it take to open. If assemblies open slower on there own then they do from draft. then likely something liked is not completely right.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

12Gage, do you have variables not updating?

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

In this case I believe it is related to the use of physical properties as input.

I noticed this when the feature was added to push physical properties into the VT.

You can reproduce this with a simple block part.

Not sure if this why, but imagine that the results of a physical property was allowed to change

the length or something of the model that in turn altered the physical properties.

Next thing you know you're your own grandpa.

If you create a trigger variable and add it to the formula and manually change it after you update your physical properties it shoud force an update.

Mass * Length * Trigger

Make Trigger = 1

Then change  it to 2 and back to 1.

Not sure if it's a bug or wad though.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I'm just adding mass to a calculated weight independent of the mass. The trigger should be the changing of any or all of the 3 axis dimensions. Mass updates, the calculated weight updates, but not the sum of the two.

Seems buggy to me.

Bruce Shand

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

I found a PR6985332 on this.

Said it would be fixed in ST8 and it is. Just tested it.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com