Variable "metrial thickness" is read only??

Good day all.

I am new to the forum so first off Hi to everyone.

Okay so i have a problem, I have a plate which I converted from a part copy.

The plate's original thickness was 3mm and now that i want to change it to 1.6mm

it gives me the following error "Variable "metrial thickness" is read only".

When I try to bend it or when i just want to change the thickness while using "convert to sheet metal" function. is when i get this error.

Please also see attachments, a drawing to see bends and part copy to work off.

If you could perhaps give me some advise it would be apriciated?

Thanks

11 REPLIES

Re: Variable "metrial thickness" is read only??

Creator
Creator

Did you convert the part to sheet metal first? I was able to move your part through the steps which allowed me to change the material thickness.

I attached the part done in ST8 that has been converted. Also for reference I began with the inside faces so the material moved outward.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Zach0350,  Nice!

Besides the fact that I can't successfully transform it, where is the thin part to sheet metal command icon? I can find the command with command finder but it doesn't point to any of my menus.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@bshand that command is visually set out only slightly different for Synchronous & Ordered, by is on the same "Tools" tab.

ST8_PSM_Ord_Tools_Transform_ThinPartToSheetMetal.png

ST8_PSM_Sync_Tools_Transform_ThinPartToSheetMetal.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@SeanCresswell Interestingly, or maybe not, for some reason the transform commands were not in my ribbon for either mode. Now it's fixed. Thanks mucho.

Bruce Shand

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@bshand could it have been that you hadn't done the "Switch to Sheet Metal" at that point?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If you mean the lack of success in transforming I tried both ways but I can't get it to work yet.

Edit: It seems I don't know what I'm doing.

Edit2: If anyone wants to enumerate the steps I'd be obliged. Do I do "part to sheet metal" or "thin part to sheet metal" or something else?

Bruce Shand

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Glad to see I'm not the only one going "Doh"....That's how it's done....every day after using the software for almost 2 years.

Today I learned a big one, this is unrelated, but puts things in perspective.

The good help for revision manager is actually under the label Insight-connect. Not to be confused with Insight. That small **bleep** bit would have saved me hours of banging my head on a wall about revision manager. After reading that topics help, I learned I can use windows to copy entire directory structures of files without messing them up. My file management just became 50 times easier. I can actually re-use projects vs. needing to reassembly after moving each sub assembly using RM.

Creator
Creator

The part to sheet metal worked for me under ordered. I had be very selective of the starting face, bent edges, and then which direction to set the thickness. The program kept glitching out until I realized i was choosing the edges on opposite sides of the part (which annoyingly made a difference).

Also from my part above I practiced deleting and moving faces to clean up the sheetmetal. This could also be tuned in the flat pattern and the gage table values.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Could someone share a video of how to convert this thing?

Bruce Shand