Variables considered ordered or synchronous?!

[ Edited ]

I'm converting some ordered parts to synchronous but am finding some variables fail to drive dimensions because the variables are considered ordered. Sometimes only. I have to delete and recreate some variables in sync when they fail as shown. However, other variables created in ordered work fine driving dimensions in sync. Seems odd to me in the first place that variables would be mode dependent.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
8 REPLIES

Re: Variables considered ordered or synchronous?!

Well, we're talking about dimensions, here, not just straight variables. I can understand why you can't map dimensions between modes in that direction. It would probably work the other way (sync driving ordered).

Personally, I don't think there is any advantage for using ordered sketches at all, aside from the inconvenience of switching back and forth. If every sketch were Synchronous, it would simplify a lot of things, and actually, give you some of the function of Sync inside Ordered features. But that doesn't help you here.

Are you planning to keep some of the ordered dimensions in your model? If you're switching over, it confuses me why you'd want to drive the sync model with an ordered dimension. I'm just assuming, but the ordered dimension comes from a sketch, correct?

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

[ Edited ]

No. The sketches are gone, irrelevant. The dimension was put in in sync. The variable was put in in ordered. When I delete and replace the "Panel_Thickness" variable then I don't get an error. The variable has a mode as well. Why?

If a dimension from a sketch was consumed why would it still be considered ordered?

Bruce Shand

hmmm. Can't say. Do you have a part you'd like to donate to the cause?

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

I have already deleted those conflicts in that part. I'll have others later probably.

I'm have a hell of a time getting sync to work on this one though in terms of understanding why it won't let me change a dimension. Probably should be a different thread though. I'm sure you'd find why.

Bruce Shand

I have so many "variable" issues, if there additional issues between Sync and ordered variables, I will never touch Syn.

Almost all of my variable issues are driven by the need for bend tables (that include back gage and stick out) and part numbers that include dimensions.

[ Edited ]

I have verified the fact that variables created in ordered are trouble when you try to drive synchronous dimensions. Sometimes at least. Not sure of why it's only sometimes. And I'm not sure if the inverse is also the case.

I have parts initially modeled in ordered and I have been copying them and moving all features to sync. When I edit the formulas tied to some dimensions I get an error about ordered variables not being able to drive sync dimensions (see above). So I delete and recreate the variable and it then works.

Is it really the intention of the developers that variables are tied to mode (and what benefit thereby derived)? Or is it unintended? In either case it could create havoc for extensive users of variables.

Bruce Shand

I hope they solve the root of the problem. Sync does not see ordered.

I desire to start models in ordered and finish them in Sync, but it works the other way around.

I assume people will ask why. The answer is, because I design parts to achieve specific flat pattern sizes and back gage dimensions. the finished dimensions are a detail along the way. For sheet metal fabrication it's all about reducing scrap and tooling setup.

I don't understand how your explanation explains your need for the reverse order of sync and ordered. But I don't think that's likely to happen given the nature of ordered. In mixed mode sync is the first feature in the history for the ordered features. Not sure it makes sense to build no-history features on top of history features. Now you can move ordered features to sync. How would you do the same if the sync is built on ordered?

Bruce Shand