Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variables from model onto drawing

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am trying to get some dimensions from our models and/or assemblies to appear in a table on our drawings and can't get it to work. I have tried using a Parts List (instead of a standard table) and have found the correct Properties that I would like to map to but I cannot get the values of those properties to appear. I have used the same method for creating parts lists that have part number, description, quantity, etc. Any suggestions?

For example: I have the height of an assembly dimensioned in the assembly file. I have named this dimension Height in the Variable Table. Now, I am trying to get the value of the Height dimension to appear in a table on the drawing. The property text is %{Height/CP|G} but the value doesn't appear.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Variables from model onto drawing

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Did you expose the variable in the variable table?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

Yes, all are exposed.

Not sure what you're doing. You should be able to show that height property in a parts list if that height dimension is on the part which shows in the parts list and you have a column for the height property. Is the assembly an item in the parts list or are you using a table?

Bruce Shand

Pioneer
Pioneer

Ok, I figured that part out. I needed to turn on the "Show top assembly in list."

Now, is there a way to ONLY show the top assembly?

And, is there a way to to flip the colums and rows in a parts list?

For showing the assembly only you could go into the parts list list control and turn stuff off.
Flipping? You mean make columns rows and rows columns?

Bruce Shand

Pioneer
Pioneer

For showing the assembly only you could go into the parts list list control and turn stuff off

I am trying to create a template for this drawing so I am trying to avoid those steps

Flipping? You mean make columns rows and rows columns?

Yes

Highlighted

Pretty sure you're out of luck on the flipping. Although it's a cool idea.

I don't think you can do the other thing without some kind of interaction. No way to save the parts list style to only show top level by means of excluding or using a configuration. AFAIK.

Bruce Shand

Pioneer
Pioneer

I found a way but it is an EXTREME work-around.

The table I want has five rows. So, I created five of these new parts list tables and included the property that I need in each one. Since this drawing will be a template, I think I will only have to do this the one time but I don't know for sure yet. It will live on the background sheet so nobody will be able to see how it was setup anyways.

Now my problem is that I had to turn on the "Show top level assembly" for these new tables but I don't want this turned on in our standard parts list. I can't figure out how to have it on in one table (or five) and not in the other.

On the general tab in parts list props save the style(s).

I still don't think it'll work hands-off but I'll stay tuned to this thread for updates on your progress. Parts lists are always an interesting subject. And it's always nice to have others do the research Smiley Happy

Bruce Shand