Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: Variables from model onto drawing

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @jbutter

so I easily can get any dimension variable from the assembly into my draft.

You will get it as property text or also into the BOM

The BOM question here only is, where is the dimension defined.

In the top assembyl or in a subassmebly.

If top, You properly might turn of the "Show Top Assembly" option in BOM to see it too.

20180112_0852.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Variables from model onto drawing

@hawcad, I think the OP already knows this.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Re: Variables from model onto drawing

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I have not updated to ST10 yet. But in ST9, it is impossible to place a variable into a cell of a table in a cell by cell way that will update.

What can be done is adding variables to the Parts list as long as it is the same setup for every row.

My work around has been to use callouts/annotation to display the variables. But you have to use one set of annotation for each column to keep things lines up or use old school text spaces that have to be adjust to within half a chractor space by adding and removing spaces debend on the values displayed.

@12GAGE, I don't think you can put variables in a table in ST10 either. In the column tab there's a "User Defined" property you can add but I have no idea what it means.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Pioneer
Pioneer

I figured it out. I had to use an annotation callout for each variable. Then go to the Property Text page and choose the correct variable from Index Reference dropdown. None of the other dropdown selections will work (I still can't figure out why the Variables From Active Document list is blank). I then lined them up to look like a table. I would have preferred a table instead of individual callouts but they are on the background sheet and are auto-populated from the model so nobody should have to interact with them.

%{inMediaTotalArea/CP/@1|R1} in²

Tip: placing the /@1 changes the accuracy from 3 digits (what the assembly file is set to) to 1 digit

I used the same method to create our title blocks a couple years ago. I tried this first but couldn't the variables to appear anywhere.

Hi @jbutter

Why Active Document is blank could be answered easily.

The active document now is the draft file.

And the draft doesn't have those dims and variables.

regards
Wolfgang