Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Variables with if/then rules

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Can .bas files reside in an assigned folder (preferrably a network location) so that SE will always look there and there would be no need to worry about delinking when copying the parts and assemblies which reference them?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I kinda like the idea of using the ABS function to perform the if/then so I did a quick test.  I made a block with the width of it (V571) being the trigger to change the thickness once it reached 6" and above.  The thing is, it didn't change at 6"...  See Pic.

Russ

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Did it change at say, 6.1?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yep, anything over 6.000 works correctly.

Russ

Wolfgang,  Agree.  This would be an enhancemetn but i dont know knwo that it would be a "big" enhancemetn.

Persoanlly i'd like to see SE Variable tables adopt MS Excel Function editor so that anythign that can be done in excel can be done native in SE Variables.  I think this is the bigger resolution.

can .bas files reside on a network share...  I'd assume so...  the link to the variable table is created when the function is used...   so where ever teh file is at that time is where SE will always look for it...

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Look at iLogic in Inventor. They had this idea and they have been improving it with every version of Inventor over the last 10 years. iLogic is rule and expression based and embedded inside the IPT file and has hundreds of built-in functions; A whole industry has mushroomed around iLogic alone.

Solid Edge's ability to read BAS files is remarkable, but the handful functions and the file dialog that browses for BAS files are stuck up where they were 10 years ago.

vbbas.png

Legend
Legend
Is it based on LISP? Just joking!
Using SE since V12, 2002
ST10 certified

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

iLogic is the stand alone redemption of Inventor, in my opinion. Too bad I couldn't get over the inability to perform a normal cutout function and it work. They added the function in the last release, but every time I went to use it, it didn't work. Had to go back to building models as surfaces and using thicken/offset instead.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

FYI all,

Just noticed in ST9 variable table that if I use the Formula button, and select Logical, there is now an IF function.

Did some testing with it, and it seems to work pretty well.

I set a variable TEMP1 to some value.

Then added this formula for TEMP2:

IF( TEMP1 =0,.254,-.123)

So if TEMP1 is zero, it returns .254

If TEMP1 is any other value, it returns -.123

In my opinion, lot-a potential here, and reads easier than using the ABS function.

Russ