Vertical Text Orientation of Dimensions in Draft Environment

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if there's a short cut to vertically orient dimension text in the draft environment. For example, when I use coordinate dimensions, it's handy to have the text of the dimensions be vertically oriented to unclutter the view. What I find myself doing is having to individually right click each coordinate dimension, going to properties, clicking on the "text" tab, and selecting vertical in the "orientation" drop down box.

When placing the dimension initially, there's no icon that allows me to select how I want the text oriented. Morever, when I select all the dimensions that I want vertically oriented and right click, it doesn't work. Does anybody know of a more efficient way to vertically orient dimension texts?

10 REPLIES

Re: Vertical Text Orientation of Dimensions in Draft Environment

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Make a style with that setting.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks Bruce. I didn't think about using styles until now. I haven't played around with styles much, but I can definitely see how useful they can be!

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @TCubed@bshand

I think there is no need for a special style to get it as You want.

Since ST7 there is an extra entry for coordinate dimensions within the standard dim style.

Here You simply have to change the text orientation to perpendicular and that's it.

20161214_2032.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@hawcad, You certainly don't "need" to, and @TCubed was aware of that. But it sure makes changing existing dims, and creating new ones as well, easier with a style instead of clicking thru the properties dialog.

Edit: Additionally, @TCubed, you can't change multiple dims at once with the properties dialog unless you select the properties command from the ribbon. A right click selection of properties limits you to one entity.

Bruce Shand

Experimenter
Experimenter

@hawcad, Thank you for the input. I've used Solid Edge for not too long now, and am barely discovering the utility in using styles. In my specific case, I wanted both a vertical orientation for some dimensions and horizontal for other dimensions. Having a new style created helps with just that! Smiley Happy

@bshand, Thanks for the knowledge drop. I didn't know a right click properties dialog was limited to only one selection. Regarding changing of dimensions at once with the ribbon and properties command, can you elaborate? When I click on the ribbon -> properties, this leads to only the File properties or Property Manager.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@TCubed, Select all the entities you want to change and pick the edit properties button, if it's there, I've been using my own custom menus so long I don't even remember if I added it or not.

editproperties.JPG

Bruce Shand

Experimenter
Experimenter

@bshand Awesome!  Did not know you could do this. Thanks for the insight Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@TCubed, to further expand on @bshand's good info.......here's a couple of quick videos.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @bshand

my thoughts only were that it is possible to use the same style for coordinate dimesions as well as for normal dimensions.

But if - and this did come out do clearly for me - man would like to have parallel as well as perpendicular text, then You will need two different styles.

With former SE versions (I believe before ST7) only different styles lead to the wanted result.

regards
Wolfgang