View and Makeup

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi guys,

trying to open my assembly file in view and make so that i can safe it .pcf formate.

keep coming up as failed to open the file.

I have to send my assembly file to one of our suppliers, who is using solidworks 2014,

what other way i can do that.

Please help

Sam

6 REPLIES

Re: View and Makeup

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

parasolid format (*.x_t) would be preference as both SE and SW use the parasolid kernel so there should be no data loss via translation.

Matt Johnson
Application Engineer
Ally PLM Solutions
matt.johnson@allyplm.com
http://allyplm.com/

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Hi Sam,

I guess the first question would be, what do you want your supplier to be able to do with the data? [Viewing only, or the ability to modify your data]
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP1] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Sean,

My appologies for so late reply as i lost my password and had to send a mail to admin to get it change as it wasn''t going through.

Anyways, back to the topic, origanlly that was, what i was thinking. i want my supplies to view and not being able to modify the model at all.

Please help.

Thanks and sorry for delay

Sam

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sam,

What a coincidence, I have been having issues for most of the week getting a renewed password allocated, but managed to get it to work just this morning.

Anyway, back to the problem.....are you able to use the Mobile Viewer in this situation? [currently Android & Apple devices only]

Wouldn't it be GREAT, if that viewer platform was able to run on PC, and even alongside Solid Edge?

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply,

I haven't tried the mobile viewer as i don't have a tablet or an ipad.
how can you assembly as one big part before sending it on to someone, so they are unable to use your design or something like that.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Hi Sam,

While I have no experience of this, I have heard that "Edge Publisher" will allow you to save an assembly as a single part file, and it is supposed to be able to handle the "Zero Thickness" error that corner/point contact creates. That being a coded limitation in the Parasollid kernel.
Here's the link.... http://edgepublisher.com/

Of course this doesn't stop anybody from messing with the data after the fact.
In some cases, I have created an entire external only block solid of some of our assemblies, for this very purpose. [Insert Part Copy - as reference, of the assembly]
Sean Cresswell
Windows 10