Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewer Mode for ST10 is very slow.

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

We have with a shop floor PC with ST10 used in view mode to help with machine assembly. Previously "Viewer" was a separate application and has worked well for us. ST10 running in view mode is a big improvement as it provides much more flexibility for viewing with the ability show "Display Configurations" for example. When we initially set up view mode a few weeks ago it worked well. Now it is unbearably slow. We have installed the latest MP which did not help. It seems as though application has no priority. CPU usage usually spikes zoom or rotate, but this does not happen. I tried to give "Edge" a higher priority in the task manager, but this did not help either. All other applications on the viewer PC are working normally.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES

Re: Viewer Mode for ST10 is very slow.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @hyperset,

We have a few PC's about the shop with Solid Edge ST10 Viewer/2D installed, and have not had reports of any change in the performance from these.

Are all Windows & Antivirus updates applied?......have you tried a system reboot?, incase such an update is waiting for that action in the background.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP3] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Sean,

Yes, reboot, Windows and AV all up to date. The application has no priority. Opening a file Solid Edge barely uses 1% of CPU, while everything else is idle and a total CPU utilization at less than 5%??? Other apps work nomally.

It is like trying to run Solid Edge on a 386.

Ross

Phenom
Phenom

What does the network performance look like?

All files are stored locally. Network connection is a slow wireless connection, but should not really be a factor if the files are stored locally? 

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Make sure that Part/Feature Library pane on Edgebar is not pointing to a network location.  I have seen slowdowns due to this in the past as SE tries to refresh all the items in that folder periodically and if the path is slow or is broken it can slow SE down.

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Nothing is pointing to a network location, every thing is local. I tried a few more things, this is what I found.

• I tried login  with a cloud license to start Solid Edge instead of just the viewer. Performance was the same, sloooooow, with CPU usage less than 1%. (While program was loading CPU usage was higher, 25%).
  • I tried opening a dft file, it was ok fine. Prt or Asm are not good at all.
  • Maybe some sort of graphics conflict? Strange, because it was all working fine a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks,

Ross

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Try resetting your Solid Edge user preferences by performing the following:

• Inside the registry delete the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics Solutions" key and everything under it.  WARNING: do NOT delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unigraphics Solutions".

• In "Windows Explorer" browse to %APPDATA%. If you cannot see this folder you will need to change your Windows Explorer "Folder Options" to show hidden and system files and folders.  Delete the "%APPDATA%\Unigraphics Solutions" folder and everything underneath it.

Dave, thanks for the suggestion, I will try it this evening.

Just to make sure, is this the folder I should delete?

C:\Users\Ross\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions

Thanks,

Ross

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If Ross is the Windows user id that is logged in and experiencing slow performance, then yes.

Instead of deleting you could just rename if you are not comfortable with this process e.g. 

C:\Users\Ross\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions -> C:\Users\Ross\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions_bak