Virtual sharp corner

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Not sure if this is something in Edge already and I am overlooking it but I would like to create a virtual sharp corner to pull a dimension. I currently go to draw in view and draw lines to create the corner. It would be nice to have a command to click on that would make the corner for me.  Here is a picture of Onshape creating it.

12 REPLIES

Betreff: Virtual sharp corner

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @mezcofab

there was a thread a few days ago concerning exactly the same issue.

Besides draw in view You can use the intersection functionallity of Solid Edge.

There are keyboard strikes (MICE) to involve following curve points:

• M = Mid Point
  • I = Intersection Points
  • C = Center Point of circles and arcs
  • E = End Points 

This can also used for dimensioning in daraft and 3D documents

But creating PMI dimensions in 3D should be easier and should use those Virtual Corner Points by itselves

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Virtual sharp corner

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I will give MICE a try thanks. 

It would be nice to have a quick command to select two lines (or make a box around the area) and it creates the virtual sharp corner for you (like in Onshape). 

I have been using Edge since 2000 and it sometimes perplexes and confuses me how simple every day functions like virtual sharp corners and explode text are not already present in a mature product like Edge and work arounds are still necessary to create them. To add to this frustration, a new software comes out (Onshape for example) that is still in the beginning stages of development and already has this functionality. 

Re: Virtual sharp corner

Genius
Genius

In the video below I show how you can get a virtual dimension in SE, but it does not show a graphical reference point of the virtual point. The only way to do that I believe is as the discussion mentions already, and that is to use "draw in view". This along with many other little issues are very annoying in SE. It is one of the leaders in new technology, a fantastic program and I take my hat off to the development, but many of the daily useful tools are missing, awkward to use or hidden.

One that really annoys me is making a calculation in a dimension. You cannot simply type in + 5 to a dimension like 35mm + 5, it comes up with an error. You first have to delete the mm Smiley Frustrated.

Hope this helps.

(view in My Videos)

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

One that really annoys me is making a calculation in a dimension. You cannot simply type in + 5 to a dimension like 35mm + 5, it comes up with an error. You first have to delete the mm Smiley Frustrated.

Hi @Neil_H

or You turn off the units display for value fields in SE options.

20170521_0944.PNG

But this also is not my first preference.

I like it to see the units, although we normally always use the same standard units.

But what, if You open a foreign file from a customer and they are used to have different units .....

So, Yes, field calculations with units shold be brought into Solid Edge, and this ASAP

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

Thanks for that. Like I said many features are either missing, awkward or hidden. This is a little of both I thinkSmiley Happy

I only use one unit type so the option to turn it off is great. (Hidden). The option to use both and not have to edit the unit type (Missing). The fact that you have to delete the unit type (Awkward).

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If we are talking dimensions........I would like to see the ability to place dual dimensions (imperial and metric). I might get a drawing from a customer in metric so I like to dimension in metric to get a document inspection but the "old school" guys on the shop floor seem lost if I don't have imperial dimensions. The ability to have both placed at the same time will save time.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @mezcofab

but You already have found the option for Solid Edge dimenions to show dual units.

What is Your request?

20170521_1844.PNG

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Did not know about that option. I have been manually calculating metric and putting it as a suffix.

Thank you

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Hi @mezcofab

oh, sorry to read that.

No, this option is there right from the beginning.

Non the worse I'm happy to was able showing You that capability.

regards
Wolfgang