Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to upgrade to ST6, can not uninstall ST4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I have been using ST4 on my laptop (windows 7 64 bit) for six months now. I want to upgrade to ST6. Looks like I need to uninstall ST4 to install ST6. The problem is I can not find SolidEdge in the Add/Remove program list (Control Panel -> Programs and Features). I tried to uninstall it in a differnt way as given here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247515. But, I could not find SolidEdge in this list too. Can I just delete the SolidEdge folder in Computer -> C: -> ProgramFiles (x86) to uninstall ST4?

Thank you

12 REPLIES

Re: Want to upgrade to ST6, can not uninstall ST4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I am still struggling to install ST6. Now I have manually removed all the files related to ST4 and tried to install ST6. But, the installer keeps saying that it detected another version of the software on the machine and can not proceed with the installation unless the earlier version is uninstalled. I am left with no SolidEdge on my machine now.  I really appreciate your response.

Thank you

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Because it doesn't appear in the installed programs list, I suspect that you may have deleted some of the install directory already.....I expect the only way to get around this now is to do a registry clean out, and this is NOT recommended if you're not familiar with making such edits.

Do you have C-Cleaner installed on your machine?...the free version offers some system registry cleaning that may help you in this case. [ http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download ]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP7] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion!

It was not appearing in the program list even before I deleted the files. When I first encountered the problem, I showed the problem to some SE experts (and posted the question in this forum). They couldn't figure out what was wrong so suggested me to remove all the files. Before I did that, I waited to see if someone in this forum gives any alternative remedy. I didn't see any reply to my post in this forum, so I just went ahead and deleted all the files related to ST4. However, the problem still persisted. That is when I posted my second comment in the thread.

Some google search showed me to use clceaner or Revo. I tried Revo uninstaller, but it didn't list Solid Edge ST4 in the list of programs. After that, I tried the wmic method (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcALmncOJao). wmic shows Solid Edge ST4 in the list of programs that are installed. But, when I try to uninstall I get famous "return value 1603" message to which I couldn't find any resolution.

When I run ccleaner to uninstall, I ge the following message "Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action: New UninstallInsightAssemblies, location: C:\Program Files(x86)\Solid Edge ST4\Program\.. commands: cmd.exe /c" UninstallInsightAssemblies.bat"

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

A registry cleaner program specifically for Solid Edge can be found on your installation disk:

\Solid Edge\SptTools\SECleanup\SECleanupAll.exe

If that utility does no help and if you don't have any other UGS products installed, then at your own risk, delete all entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Unigraphics from the registry.

That should allow you to install a newer version of Solid Edge.

Tushar / NV123,

I'm not sure you get that file when using "Solid Edge - Student Edition", as the ".EXE" only contains the application install, none of the utilities available on the commercial disc version.

Although, I do think this particular utility should be freely available....as this does seem to happen to student installs a bit. [for whatever reason

I have it, but it's not mine to share, so cannot unless Siemens say it's OK, sorry.

Yup,....that's the registry string to delete I was refering to. [if you go for it...take care NOT to delete anything else]

Sean Cresswell

Gears Phenom

Sean,

Nowhere in the message that I can see it mentioned the version is a student edition, unless I am overlooking something obvious.

If it is in fact a student edition and that the SeCleanAll utility does not come with it, the manual registry cleanup could be the only option.

Tushar Suradkar

http://surfandcode.blogspot.in/

Tushar wrote:

Nowhere in the message that I can see it mentioned the version is a student edition, unless I am overlooking something obvious.

If it is in fact a student edition and that the SeCleanAll utility does not come with it, the manual registry cleanup could be the only option.

Tushar,

You're quite correct....my only clue to this, was the forum group this is posted into. Robot wink 

Sean Cresswell

Gears Phenom

oops! my bad Smiley Embarassed

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Tushar and Sean,

Yes, I have the student version Smiley Happy

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. I really appreciate your help. Looks like fixing this is not as easy as I thought. I will go to Siemens office here in town and see if someone can help me fix it.