Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Way to search entire directory of parts and assemblies to find all assemblies where one part used?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am trying to find where a part is used in an entire directory of parts, assemblies, files etc. for an entire product line. Is there a way to do a search of this magnatude? 

I am having no luck opening the assemblies where I think they should be and looking for it. I am not even sure the engineer that made this part drawing put it in any assembly drawings for sure. The part is created, but I cannot find it used in any assemblies by manually opening things and looking around. 

If there was a way to let the computer search for the part through all this stuff, that would be a big help. 

Before you ask, there is no way to search this in our other systems....which is a problem for another discussion Smiley Happy The engineer not available to ask this week. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Way to search entire directory of parts and assemblies to find all assemblies where one part use

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If this is managed data then your data management tool should have a functionality to fid this for you. If it is unmanaged then use revision manager. 

Have you tried the 'Where Used' functionality in Revision Manager? See the picture of its dialog box. You can select a directory to search in to and get results. 

Image 14-Aug-19 10.29.27 AM.jpg

Select any SE file and do RMB click, then open it in revision manager. Then under the tools tab, run the 'Where Used' command. Select the search directory and proceed. You get the list of documents that are using your part. Refer below.

Image 14-Aug-19 10.33.46 AM.jpg

HTH.

Regards,
Saty.

Re: Way to search entire directory of parts and assemblies to find all assemblies where one part use

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I do not know if this is "Managed Data"? Is there a file that would exist that contains the "Managed Data"?

This is not something I have messed with at this point. I suspect it is not being used, but I can try to find something if I understand it more.

I do not seem to have those options in my Design Manager as of now unless I need to find and open a "Managed Data" file somewhere (which I have not seen in there).

I did not create or handle any of these files and was not invloved in their creation. This was all done by one person that devised and created everything with little tie in to our main ERP. I only have read access to the directory they are in as well. 

In the mean time I will see what this "Managed Data" does to better understand it. I suspect it is not being used, although I have no idea for sure. I have been decoding this persons "system" for awhile now, which is a little challenge. 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi jevs, I wanted to know if the file you are dealing with is stored on a local (or network) drive or on a server database. If this is a managed file then you might be opening it from Teamcenter database. In that case, the Teamcenter Application can provide you the needed results. 

Regards,
Saty.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

From the image you shared, I see that you have not opened any document in the Design Manager. Once you open it, you will get additional options. 

Regards,
Saty.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

All of these files are on a network drive. If I open the part in the design manager. I do not get any new options at the top. Opening a specific assembly will not really do me much good? Since I need to search a bunch of folders and assemblies to see if this part is used in any of them.  

Sorry for not being knowledgable about this stuff, but I have not used it before. I have used the design manager for a couple things, but not this. I am relativly new to Solid Edge and everything done with Solid Edge and my company has been a one man show up to this point and this person is unavailable currently. 

Design Manager2.JPG

Phenom
Phenom

You are getting close! You are looking at the Tools tab up at the top, you need to be on the Home tab, that should show you a where used towards the right side.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi jevs, in Design Manager the 'Where Used' command is available in the Home tab under Assistant group. 

Regards,
Saty.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I did look at that tab also, but it had everything mostly "greyed out" including the "Where Used".....until I just now tried selecting and highlighting the part row in the list specifically. I missed that I needed to highlight the part in question in the list.

After that I could select "Where Used" and even pick the main folder that everything is in. It did seem to scan through everything. 

Faded out Icon.JPGDocs found.JPG

I opened the documents found and sure enough it is in there. This is going to be very helpful to know. Unfortunatly it also proves that this part was not actually put in the assembly that it should be in, but knowing that is also very helpful!

Thanks!