Welcome!

Siemens Builder Siemens Builder
Siemens Builder

Dear Edgers:

Welcome to the Solid Edge Community!  This community is about two main things:  You and how to help you design better!

We continue to invest significantly in Solid Edge as a product, and if you haven't tried it already, go give it a run with our free trial.  Especially our synchronous technology allows you to get more productive and focus on designing great things.

In addition to the product, this community helps you be more productive by bringing together all the experts: our users, our partners, and of course our Siemens application experts and developers.

Key community features currently include:

- Q&A:  use this area to type in a question, automatically find a previous answer, or simply post the question to the community.

- Discussion Forum:  Go here if you want to go beyond a question and enter into a dialog with peers or experts, or show off some of your great designs.  This area is also searchable, so you can check for similar topics or threads to what you are looking for.

- Learning tools:  You will find key assets, tips & tricks in our Solid Edge knowledge base.  Also, check out our latest news and featured videos.

Again, this community is all about making your work more productive and fun. Go check it out!  We look forward to your engagement and feedback.

All the best,

Karsten

Senior VP and GM
Solid Edge and Mainstream Engineering
@Newbk
karsten.newbury@siemens.com
6 REPLIES

Re: Welcome!

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Thanks Karsten!

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP3

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Fantastic begining...thanks for the efforts all those involved have made to getting this going.

The future of Solid Edge, and it's community, is looking bright indeed. Robot Very Happy

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

Hi Karsten and everyone

This is a great initiative, it is very welcome and greatly appreciate.

To try few things Solid Edge Free trial mention By Kartsten

Why not  also download the free Solid Edge 2D Cat Happy

Spoiler
Spoiler tag look like a gray back ground

Nice we can HTML edit the post

Many will like the new insert image

Splash 01.jpg

Paste from clipboard seems to make the message exceed 20 000 charecters, let's try again

Where the attach file will be shown ??? :-)

The spell chekcer should have Karsten name in it :-)

What about quote

Original message is being insert and can be edit

Ok let's try this

PLM World Member Genius PLM World Member Genius
PLM World Member Genius

Lost of options locate top right corner of the post

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Welcome,

Good luck guiding resources to the right places.

Grundey, Cresswell, and a few other have been very nice answering just about every one of my questions with the best answer available. There are also a few others who make great videos.

Apperantly I have been asking the right questions as I have created about half the "Hot threads". Feel free to to ask us questions.

I for one keep my email open as I draft and theck the forum at least 2 times a day.

The main advantage over your competition from the USA perspective is the precieved ability for Germans to be good with sheet metal created by the MG42 in WWII.

If you get the sheet metal portion of the software workin well, they will get you a foothold on the US market. SE and Inventor are not as good in this area. Keep moving ahead.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Some speculative help:

Here is how I precieve the CAD market over the past 30+ years.

I started in VersiCAD. It was the fastest program in DOS 3.2 and was common until AutoCAD 10/12 Dos. AutoDesk/AutoCAD took over the market for a single reason, Good documentation. Once they took over the market, the documentation went bad, they tried to create to many new terms, and the software became bloated and difficult to master.

Solid Edge came along, and lowered the cost and learning curve of real solid modeling. . Autodesk blew there chance to keep the market by overpricing Inventor, keeping difficult to learn language, poor support, and in general, a bad attitude twards clients.

A few years ago, SW passed up AutoDesk in the nubmer of seats in the USA. But SW is becomming outdated. I used SE for a year and I had to use many "Work arounds" just to get daily production accomplished. 

Today, you are in an excelent postion to take over the market, but you have to find a way in. The way in is with sheet metal. Right now you have a slight advantage in this area. If you can make this a large advantage, then you can get enough seats installed to demonstrate that the learning curve is less than other software.

Looking forward, you need to make it easy to design with Composits, wood, fiberglass etc. Advanced materails is where the future is.

I used a combination of Solid Mastermind, then Ally PLM and YouTube to learn the software. Once I had the basics, This forum has been fantastic. (note: I also used Imageware for a few years processing Cyrax data that Cyclone could not process)

There are still many frustrating bugs and limitations but the software is much more intuative than the competition (Inventor and Solid Works)