Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weld connector for simulation

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hello everyone,

Im trying to connect 2 metal sheets by welding and then run a simulation,

So I created a fillet weld, but the only way I can run the simulation its connecting the sheets with glue without selecting the fillet weld.

So.. is that correct? Is there any way to simulate weldments on assemblies?

If anyone could help me or send me any video / pdf I would really aprecciate it,

Thanks!

10 REPLIES

Re: Weld connector for simulation

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Could you post a picture about your challenge?

It helps us to give any solutions..

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Experimenter
Experimenter

Sure, 

The idea its to connect these two sheets with weld and then see the displacement on aplying diferent forces,

Thanks you so much,

Captura.JPG

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Asilva,

as far as I know the best way to create your Weld study is to create mid-surfaces and then a Unified Body. 

Good luck!

/Ulf

Siemens EMEA GTAC Support

Genius
Genius

I can not see your edge conditions for the sheet metal.  However, what i have found edge conditions should overlap. see corner1 and corner2 for best results.   

a quick simulation allowed the glue connection to work with and without the weld.  Additionally i moved the weld to the outside simular to a corner fillet weld and simulation solved only if i glued the outer weld.

what error are you receiving? 

Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert

Gears Phenom

Hi,

In your case I suggest using shell elements (mid-surface) with edge connectors (Rigid), because of using sheetmetal part.

Here is a short video:

BR,

Imics

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks you really much for your answer.

I was getting some error from Mesh, so I think it just was the size of it.

However, as I can see when you want to add a weld to a certain position, u just draw it or do you use fillet weld?

Thanks

Genius
Genius

If you are getting a mesh error verify in the mesh drop down if the body is green check marked or marked red.  These do not always tell the true problem but if the part is green this part should have no mesh issues.

Now to add the weld i took this path.

In the assembly goto the Tools and in the Model section click Weldment.

This will allow you to add the fillet welds into the model via the command.    

Add these to the study and verify it has the correct material properties in the study.

Also ensure the connections for the weld and part are correct and search direction is correct.  This is important if you have a midsurfaces.  Sometimes the search direction is not correct and needs to be flipped.

Also go into the Study options.  Go to the geometry check and change to to "warning only" initially.  This has helped me get the study to solve and i work backwards from there to why failed.  eventually switching it back to "on"

Hope this helps.

Cory M
Solid Edge ST10
ST10 Cert

Gears Phenom

Hi,

Keep in mind, that FEA model is not equivalent with what you did in Solid Edge, you need a geometry abstraction...

BR,

Imics

Phenom
Phenom

I have to agree. Sheet metal should be using midsurfaces and rigid connectors (glue) the parts together. 

Here's a list of general rules for meshing that I received from a long time friend who specializes in anlysis of all sorts:

• 2D meshes on midsurfaces are best for sheetmetal parts or rotomold/blowmold parts
  • 2D meshes on midsurfaces are also used for bodies whose length and width are much larger than their thickness (your example)
  • 3D meshes are used for machined parts, castings, injection molded parts
  • 3D meshes are also used for bodies whose length and width dimensions are the same order of magnitude as their thickness
  • Whenever possible 3D brick elements should be used instead of tetrahedral elements

Just because you can model a weld doesn't mean you should be using it in an anlysis. From my experience the only reason to model the weld was for visual purposes and for automatic weld callouts on drawings.